Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec on Premium

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Has anyone tried the Alloytec on premium fuel? The user manual hints that there might be a performance improvement with the use of premium but no details are given. I suspect there may be more to it than they are letting on.

The Alloytec has a compression ration of 10.2:1. I would have thought that would put it into premium territory. The Merc SLK has a 3.5l V6 with a compression ration of 10.7:1. It runs premium and gets 200kW against the Alloytec’s 190kW. OK it’s a Merc against a Holden but still, with a recalibration of the chip for premium, I wouldn’t mind betting that the best part of another 10kW could be wrung out of the Alloytec 190.

Tuning the engine for standard unleaded is clearly a marketing issue. Un-leaded 6s and 8s is where the numbers are. There is not much to be gained taking on the Europeans. In any case a premium Alloytec would devalue the standard engine just as the Alloytec 190 has devalued the Alloytec 175. I’m sure Holden did not want to release the SV6 but the following that the Ford XR6 got gave them no choice. The XR6 turbo is no problem to Holden. Holden has ample V8s and in any case I’m sure the XR6 turbo is not a big volume seller despite its formidable reputation.

V

VZSV6

BobT said:
Has anyone tried the Alloytec on premium fuel? The user manual hints that there might be a performance improvement with the use of premium but no details are given. I suspect there may be more to it than they are letting on.

The Alloytec has a compression ration of 10.2:1. I would have thought that would put it into premium territory. The Merc SLK has a 3.5l V6 with a compression ration of 10.7:1. It runs premium and gets 200kW against the Alloytec’s 190kW. OK it’s a Merc against a Holden but still, with a recalibration of the chip for premium, I wouldn’t mind betting that the best part of another 10kW could be wrung out of the Alloytec 190.

Tuning the engine for standard unleaded is clearly a marketing issue. Un-leaded 6s and 8s is where the numbers are. There is not much to be gained taking on the Europeans. In any case a premium Alloytec would devalue the standard engine just as the Alloytec 190 has devalued the Alloytec 175. I’m sure Holden did not want to release the SV6 but the following that the Ford XR6 got gave them no choice. The XR6 turbo is no problem to Holden. Holden has ample V8s and in any case I’m sure the XR6 turbo is not a big volume seller despite its formidable reputation.
i have used all of them from ultimate to optimax, mobil and vortech 98, bp ultimate kicks ass by a long sot, more k's out of a tank and more responsive

B

ByronJC

If the ****en fuel prices weren't so much I would be putting in the premium! :(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A fair percentage of BA's around here are XR6's and almost half of those would be turbos, after all if you buy a new XR6 and don't buy a turbo it's just silly so alot of people do, at least around here, there are much more XR6 turbos than XR8's for example

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
That's because the XR8 is heavy and slow. The Turbo shits all over the XR8...

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Don't know about that. According to Motor Magazine May 2005, the XR8, the SV8 and Monaro CV8 all **** all over the XT6 Turbo. I guess a lot depends on the particular car on the day.