Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec pcv

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ok I know there are old threads on here about this but they don't have the answer to my problem. I have Been getting some oil into my intake tube. I have cleaned it out twice in the last year during servicing. The oil is coming from the clean air pipe that goes from intake tube before throttle body to the left side (passengers side) of motor. So to me that means the pcv that's on the right side (drivers side) is maybe blocked as hoses into intake manifold from there are clean. I had a look but without forcing it and maybe breaking it I can't get the top or the hose off to clean it out. Does anybody know if I have to take the rocker cover off to unblock and clean this?

MaRtYz

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Calais Sports Automatic
There will always be a slight oil mist that enters the intake manifold. If there is excess oil in the intake pipe it can be a few things.

Blocked pcv valve or broken pcv tubing.
Excess blow by caused by worn piston rings.

If trying to remove the hose be careful, from all the years of heat on the PCV tubing it can make them brittle easy to snap. It has a little tab you need to unclip before you are able to remove it. Picture provided below, so you kind of get an understanding of how it works.

BEaSHti.jpg

You could try squirting a little bit of degreaser to unblock it and see how that goes. You could also remove the rocker covers. It's pretty easy but there are quite a few bolts.

Last edited:

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for the pic I can see how the clip works and should be able to remove it. I was just going to try blowing air back through it as I don't think degreaser inside the engine is a good thing. I know there can be some oil mist back through clean air pipe but I've been getting a bit more than that and the dirty side of system is dry. I'm sure it's not blow by just the stupid design of pcv's tiny little hole blocked.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
As mentioned the tubes can get quite brittle and can get full of gunk that will solidify in the tubes.
If you want to run a solvent through just disconnect the tubes from the plenum (carefully).
Also check the outlet of the PCV (well really it's just a hole) is clear.

When I had my VZ I put catch cans on both sides to prevent the crap going into the plenum and the intake tube.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/sold-vz-alloytec-catch-can-setup.254225/

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah ozNick I'm looking at putting 2 catch cans on there just want to unblock pcv first. I Had a look after work and after seeing pic of how the clip works it came off easy as thanks MaRtYz. It was dry no oil at all but the clean air hose from intake tube is wet with oil. I will pull it apart on the weekend and try to clear the blockage and get hose size for catch cans .

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
image.png image.jpeg Got catch cans coming, I hope I can get them both on the passenger side using the studs that are on the side of strut tower, looks like enough room.

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
image.jpeg
Oil catch cans are in , let's see how much they catch

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Looks a great installation. Why 2 cans ? Would 1 still do the job ? Can you possibly (please) scratch up a bit of a plan to show how you went about your installation? You can PM if it's suits you. Cheers.

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
image.jpeg
Looks a great installation. Why 2 cans ? Would 1 still do the job ? Can you possibly (please) scratch up a bit of a plan to show how you went about your installation? You can PM if it's suits you. Cheers.
1 can is between drivers side pcv out let and intake manifold as in diagram. the other can is between passenger side clean air tube from air intake to rocker cover as I was getting oil coming back through into intake tube and onto throttle body

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's some pics of passengers side with original pipe sitting on top of new hoses. Sorry about quality.

Last edited: