Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Do you have an Alloytech powered flying carpet in Mecca?

Yes, I do. I added a picture of it. There are some mountains I fly through behind my house, from where I took the first picture.

I hope I didn't cause any offence, mate. I find it funny to begin with that we all take time out of our day to focus on such a thing. Noone more so than me. Whatever is in my catch can is very intriguing, as is the whole discussion.

All machines are interesting. It's what we have in common. I am enjoying figuring this one out.

I assure you I am going to sniff the next batch. It was interesting information. It didn't occur to me to do so, but - despite the unappetising description - you have now made me keen to check it out.

To be honest, I laughed because I pictured the next guy along telling me it tastes funny, ha ha. That would be genuine obsession!

Slide1.JPG

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it had a sweet taste it could be coolant, or maybe just your sanity? Hard to tell these days :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yes, I do. I added a picture of it. There are some mountains I fly through behind my house, from where I took the first picture.

I hope I didn't cause any offence, mate. I find it funny to begin with that we all take time out of our day to focus on such a thing. Noone more so than me. Whatever is in my catch can is very intriguing, as is the whole discussion.

All machines are interesting. It's what we have in common. I am enjoying figuring this one out.

I assure you I am going to sniff the next batch. It was interesting information. It didn't occur to me to do so, but - despite the unappetising description - you have now made me keen to check it out.

To be honest, I laughed because I pictured the next guy along telling me it tastes funny, ha ha. That would be genuine obsession!

View attachment 208784

That's a mighty fine looking flying carpet!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I stumbled on this about the Tesla valve. It restricts the flow of gas in one direction. Now, this isn’t a Tesla valve, however a similar principal where having an easy exit one way and more complex the other.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Fully interesting. Interesting to see and know. Interesting because it was a cool demonstration with fire. Interesting that you have been researching propane gas rockets - that sounds like fun.

Interesting also because it made me think the internet is as big as the printing press. Explosion of knowledge for the ordinary public. I learned a lot yet again.

Regarding mine, it's still chewing an undue amount of oil. I believe my valve stem seals are rooted, which accounts for the oil consumption now more so than the quality of oil. Furthermore, I reckon they are rooted because of the PCV valve issue and previous lack of oil catch can. I couldn't believe how quickly everything got deposits on it again after cleaning, in the plenum and around the injectors, before I bored the valve out and installed the can.

I ordered a new set but they have not arrived yet. When I remove the old ones, I predict the failed seals are going to be on the dirty side of the motor. That's where you can find an oily plug. Same cylinder the injector failed.

I am gonna do the rope thing. I couldn't find any instructions here specific to my motor. Can anyone direct me to some? I just wondered in particular about removing the seal from the valve stem? Any good trick there with the Alloytec, as I don't wish to buy the specific tool?

I will have to continue the oil quality experiment with the catch can after I do it, when I can get good results.

And yeah that **** in the catch can does stink like a smoker's bedroom, and seems to be slightly gritty to me too, although it's hard not to have fine sand on your fingers when you do anything here, cause of the dust.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
View attachment 207709
This is the hose and valve location on VZ-VE S1 (guessing similar on VE2-VF in various configurations)

View attachment 207710
I have pulled the heater hose aside and there’s a plastic tab on my finger which needs to gently be pushed toward the passenger side and the hose lifted to release it.
Thank u.
Terrific write up. I just did mine, took about 15 minutes cause I was a little easy with it , did not want to snap it off with the locking pliers on end, a little side to side move then a twist both ways and out it came.
I removed the vac line from plenum to booster and pushed the vac line for the heater valve up over the top of the heater valve, all to give me a bit more room.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I have done this mod as well,se daylight now lol

OldmansVZ6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Thanks for this tread, it is a super resource! I did mine today, has been on my to-do list for months, finally had time. Very easy. I picked up a new valve back in Feb from Holden so wasn't to concerned about damaging the original. Drilled holes and cleaned them out. Had a bit of plastic stuck inside, not sure if was an internal coating (?) or it wound up in there during manufacture, odd anyway. Photos attached of the old one, it was blocked one side. Car has 207odd kms on it. Given it was Dad's car pretty high chance its the original valve. So far it drives smoother (was smooth before hand) and is tad more responsive. By far the easiest and best mod have done so far, the two hole airbox is a good one but this is better.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Changing the valve stem seals solved the oil consumption problem in mine. That was what drew me to this thread - excessive oil consumption. I was using half a litre a week driving around town.

I guess I was losing a bit of oil up the intake pipe before I drilled out the PCV valve, but it was nothing by comparison to what I was losing through the seals.

The Ford Motocraft Semi-Synthetic I am using, which is the cheapest oil here, was not to blame. I am not losing a drop now the valve stem seals have been changed, despite the motor having done 231 000 now. And the Americans swear by this oil. It does not have a poor reputation. It is recommended in my mate's Explorer manual.

The problem became evident when I pulled out the old valve stem seals.

Slide1.JPG

The valve stem seals were not degraded. That oil scale grit builds up between the valve stem and the seal there, and they just no longer seal. It does not wash away with oil changes in the top of the head either, although regular oil changes removed every trace of it in the bottom of my motor. If you got the problem, you have to change the seals. Just cleaning them would have worked well even, I reckon, cause mine were still plenty supple.

However, although it was not at the heart of the oil consumption, I am so glad I drilled out the PCV valve and put the catch can in.

Although I cleaned it very well 40 000 km ago, the top of the motor was full of that grit again.

Slide2.JPG

It was all over the timing gears and had filled the grottos behind the timing cover as well. It was blocking the oil galleries. Might even have just been a chunky bit of it caused that scoring there when it popped out, cause it gets hard as a rock.

Only parts of the motor that were clean were those constantly actually immersed in oil down the bottom end. Anything just washed with oil flow from the pump was filthy.

It is not surprising this came to be when I look at what is collecting in the oil catch can. My engine is fully clean throughout now, and this is what I am getting.

There is the very watery liquid, which soaks into a tissue, and the beginnings of sludge, which won't. It totally looks like congealing gravy at the bottom of the can. You have to scrape it out, it is not tipping out.

Slide3.JPG

I am getting grit as well. It isn't just residue left over from cleaning. It comes from the breather port over which the PCV valve is located, which is sealed off from the remainder of the right bank. Sometimes it is chunky pieces, too, you wouldn't even imagine could fit through a drilled out valve.

Slide4.JPG

And this is going in the top of your motor, to be washed down into the sump and then recirculated all the time! There is a lot, too, my catch can needs emptying frequently. Oil level isn't dropping at all, this stuff in the catch can is mostly juicy extras from combustion.

So yeah, the enlargement of the PCV valve and the catch can is the best thing ever if you want your motor to last and be happy.

All that crap is wrecking the seals, restricting oil flow, scoring moving parts, and probably adding extra wear to and unbalancing them because the sludging can grow to coral reef proportions if left unattended.

After cleaning it, and changing the valve stem seals and having full oil flow through a clean pick up and galleries and across the places where coral once abounded, my old engine is not using a drop of oil. It has a new life, hopefully for a long time to come.

All my neighbours who saw me struggling in the parking lot kept saying to me 'buy a new car', but with just a catch can, an oil pick up seal and some valve stem seals, I have a car I reckon is pretty much as good as new. Much better than whatever shitty second hand car I would have been able to afford as a replacement, anyway, cause at least I know everything is in good order, having investigated the workings of everything and put all things to right.

Last edited:

OldmansVZ6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Wow! Glad you sorted it, nice work. Couple of guys over on the Addy FB page swear by full syn diesel oil inconjuction with the pvc mod/cleaning and a catch can. The diesel oil is supposed to be great for cleaning and breaking down contaminates. Personally havent tried it, yet.

Since drilling out the pcv my VZ runs a lot smoother but am currently experiencing an oil smell after its shutdown. This could be due to leaking around the timing cover as cleaned it recently, requires further investigation. Luckily the car hardly ever loses oil through regular driving, it leaks ever so slightly as mentioned above. The oil and filter gets changed every 5000kms or there abouts. Recently switched to 5/40 full synth Nulon as was on special, usuallly run Penrite.

Hopefully the thing holds together for another 100,000!

Cheers