Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I thought about the size difference of the holes. Only a keen eye will pick up on that.
My theory is there has to be a ratio between the surface area of the openings at each end.

They do seem to be imperial sizes.

The total open area of the two bottom holes : to the total area of the top hole.

The modification comes close to maintaining that ratio in metric measurements.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I vote for Fu's theory that it's a ratio of surface area/flow volume/ pressure between the top hole and bottom holes, But given the designers totally stuffed up the original sizes as they failed to achieve the required extraction of fumes I'd say the exact ratio is not important and simply increasing the diameter to pass more gas through the tube is what's important.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Here's the drilled out PCV valve.

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

And here is the catch can on the valve bank. I didn't want to go drilling holes in my car, and I wanted it to be easy to drain and open etc. (mine have the little tap at the bottom), so I just mounted it on a bit of chunky steel bar I bolted on those two bolts sticking out of the wheel arch. It is sitting on a bushing I carved out of an old thong, and is secured by a slice of bicycle tube. I put a bit of rubber truck wheel liner between the bracket and the wheel arch as well, and tightened it rock solid. All that is immovable. I tried to keep everything level with how it was before. Not that it probably matters.

Slide1.JPG

So let's see what I catch.

I am not going to put one on the air intake side right now, because I can tell you that after drilling out that PCV valve, there is no way anything is going up that pipe. I was flabbergasted by the amount of suction now generated over that side, and how much there is if you pull out that bolt where an aspirator can go on top of the catch can. It would suck you right in if you didn't watch out. Flow is definitely unidirectional.

My tip is, if you just use a cigarette lighter to warm the original pipe going from the PCV valve to the three-way splitter, you can pull that pipe right off the splitter without damaging anything, easy as. And it is good to have that splitter, cause the hose just presses onto the barb nicely, and it swivels, which makes the new pipe arrangement easy to manage.

I was able to knock all that up in an hour. Drilling the bar was about the hardest part.

I am not sure how it can decrease oil consumption, but considering the really nice filter and baffles inside that catch can, I believe there is going to be a lot less crud going into my engine. And like I say, after just 30 000 it had gone back to how it looked at 200 000. Not to say I disbelieve anyone for saying so, I have followed the advice. Now let's wait and see.

This is a new catch can, and I will run it for a bit with the 4-buck-a-bottle 'synthetic blend', cause I bought a carton of it. I will look at consumption and what is in the can.

Then I will swap it for the other new can, and run it on Magnatec, which is twice the price.

Then I can compare.

I enjoyed tinkering with it all anyway, no matter what the outcome. And ****, if I have stuffed anything, it is not like I can't find another one, ha ha. Make me laugh a lot. I know where there is literally a mountain of Commodores. One day I will take some pictures to show you guys.

I enjoyed talking with people about this kind of thing as well, it is something we all have in common, and it is cool to make new friends. Whiled away many happy hours.

Thanks a lot. And happy new year.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
That engine bay above needs a good wash

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You don't understand about the desert dust. After washing anything, in 5 minutes it looks like that again. I scrubbed everything beautifully just 8 weeks ago. Now look at it.

On the flip side, nothing deteriorates in the desert. Unless the car has accident damage, no bolt or nut will ever be stuck. No such thing as rust.

The humidity is just 40% tonight. The air is dry enough to literally suck the breath out of your lungs. Throat feels like a piece of wood.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I just realised your in Mecca Saudi Arabia. What's the story?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Work here. At an army base. Been here 6 years. Commodores were super popular back in the day, but no one looked after them, so there are miles of them lying around. One of the most common old cars.

They are suited to the conditions, and cost nothing to buy and run, so they are my choice of wheels.

Interestingly, no V8s available. Only the Ecotecs and Alloytecs survived. Fair few of them still going.

I like messing around with them, same as all of us. It passes the time constructively, and it is something I have plenty of. You can give it a good thrashing on a straight road after you make it nice.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I looked at the engine bay with the catch can and did a double take, then I realised it’s a left hand drive so no brake booster there.

Love some of the ghetto tricks you come up with to overcome a lack of resources over there. Mad skills for sure.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I drill out the PCV on the Ve red Omega yesterday. the two bottom holes were 98% Blocked but I forgot to clean it out with a Petrol of Carby cleaner but use air to get metal filings out. The 7/64 hole on the top give you a good view whats inside and did no see any trapped sludge inside the PCV.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had the intake off.
No oil in there at all. This was yucked up. Throttle body is also dry now.

Attachments

• 49490BC8-EC24-47D0-BDF5-FE3B13938702.jpeg
    49490BC8-EC24-47D0-BDF5-FE3B13938702.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 1DFD6FC7-731C-489A-99E4-260419371337.jpeg
    1DFD6FC7-731C-489A-99E4-260419371337.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 361