Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i notice the colour of the old oil today it was brown/ black instead of the reddish from previous oil changes and and first change since the i did pcv mod

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Great write up, really clear and sharp pictures, thanks! Can you let us know if you end up with more oil in the intake? Interested to know. Cheers.
Still have dry intake pipes and non oily throttle body on all three cars of different years. '04 VZ, '07 VZ and '07 VE.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
OK, well it has been 5000km since I totally cleaned the guts of the motor (sump, timing cover and valve covers off) and catch can, and put the new valve stem seals in and fresh oil. This is what I found.

My opinion is, at 236 000km the Alloytec is a bloody sooty motor. Look at it all, clogging the oil filter, and caught up in the top of the valve cover. I scraped out just one fold on the rag there. It was shiny clean in the oil filler hole where I poked my finger there before, now just awash with soot.

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Where does it all come from? It has to be blown past the rings, right? My motor has excellent compression, and still goes like the clappers. Absolutely nothing wrong with. That's just how it is. A lot of soot in the oil.

There is no way the catch can catches most it. The oil filter is doing the lion's share of the work. I emptied out my catch can a few times by opening the tap, but this is the first time I pulled it off. There is not as much soot in there as I thought. Always getting a fair bit of that evil dark brown water, but, which I am glad is not congealing in the motor any more, coating the parts in film.

Slide7.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide6.JPG

The catch can does definitely catch everything in the bottom after it enters the can through the inlet, and prevents anything from going back into the plenum. This is the gauze filter on the outlet side. Not much on there.

Slide11.JPG

My oil level only dropped a third of this bottle in 5000km, which is a seppo quart.

Slide1.JPG

That is the cheapest oil, but it is a decent brand. I will try more expensive oil just once when I finish the present carton to see if consumption is reduced or I get less soot. I am not at all worried about consumption, but, it is tiny. Valve stem seals were my problem with that.

Finally, definitely the oil in the sump is cleaner. There used to be soot on the dipstick, but now look at it. Sootless.

Slide10.JPG

PCV valve is clean as a whistle still, and the intake dry as a bone. I had oil going in the intake before cleaning the motor, drilling it out, and putting the catch can in, although the valve wasn't really blocked before I drilled. I guess the holes are just too small. Don't need to block.

Anyway, this is what I reckon. Alloytec motors let a lot past the rings. Catch can doesn't get that much of the crap, but is getting something, so why not. Drilling the holes out is the key to stopping the back pressure/oil in intake problems.

The main thing is, it would be madness to run the motor to 10 000km without changing the oil. How could it cope with that? That itsy bitsy filter is having trouble coping with 5000km.

Or at least wash the filter with gasoline after 5000 if using full synthetic and want to get the value for the extra cost. Get the grit off.

Imagine then running it on the wrong oil.

It is easy to see why using the right oil and changing the oil every 5000 is going to be best. Give the oil pump a bit of love and don't let the soot accumulate throughout the motor.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think you would be better off using a full synthetic oil in that warm climate you live in. I use 5W40 full synthetic in my Alloytec. It has done 280000 and looks cleaner than yours.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Man, that soot just came in the last 5000km. I scrubbed it all spotless while I had the motor open. I ran it with new oil for a quick thousand before I changed the filter and put the oil in the pics in, so there was definitely no leftovers after scrubbing.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have messed with boats, pumps, tractors, grasscutters, motorcycles, mowers, tanks, trucks etc. all my life, some of which have been so ancient and have not even had an air filter in them at times. I can honestly say I have never seen grit in the oil like this, ha ha.

Maybe there were remnants caught in it somewhere that have come out after a hard 5000. I will report back next time.

Can't say an Alloytec isn't durable, but. They put up with a lot!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unless you stripped down the whole motor and did a full rebuild there would still have been a fair amount of crud around the inside of the engine. Hopefully with regular oil changes you will flush out the worst of it.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah, one thing that makes me think is that I did clean the pick-up and the galleries, so there would have been a blast of oil compared to the previous 10 years of the motor's life into the nooks and crannies.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah, one thing that makes me think is that I did clean the pick-up and the galleries, so there would have been a blast of oil compared to the previous 10 years of the motor's life into the nooks and crannies.
How dirty was the pickup when you took the sump off? My engine has never been opened up.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Man, you couldn't believe. I put a pic somewhere I will find in a sec.. You wouldn't believe what was in the sump and on it as well. Including rocks and bits of string. Those plastic teeth off the air intake for the PCV system. Who knows how long it had been running with paltry oil flow.

You know how when you clean your 2 stroke dirt bike fuel tank, carby and lines, suddenly it goes like the clappers? Nearly fall off the seat?That is what is going to happen with oil flow once you clean that pickup.

Last edited: