Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec rough idle after timing chain replacement

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore Acclaim VZ Alloytec LE0
2006 VZ with Alloytec engine, purchased as DOA, the crankshaft gear was spinning inside the chain basically. Replaced the chains and guides , tensioners etc put it all back together and it ran fine for a little while (2 hours running).
At this point the engine will start and run but will not idle properly. At 1000+ RPM its smooth as, at idle its so rough you don't want to run it. After 10 minutes or so it idles perfectly fine.

Had a vacuum leak test done on it, no luck.
Engine codes that its displaying are P0011, P0016, P1011 and P1013 (see image attached)

It was suggested that the timing may have jumped and I should be re-checking so as it stands currently I've pulled the front down, confirmed the timing is correct and am now in the process of puttying the thing back together.

Actuators have been tested OK also. Any ideas what else I should be checking as I go?
Cheers

Last edited:

918cc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
Good luck Liam, we had ours apart 3 times and off the road for 12 months while we fitted new timing gears, chains & tensioners and then pulled it apart again to fit a new oil pump and the again to retime it by 1 tooth. Hey we are amateurs with a book! We fixed eventually by putting another 190 engine and selling the other for scrap. Oh did I mention it seized after 12km of soft driving? Gotta love those mongrels who don't service cars and then sell them to mugs like me. Getting a great run using 5W30 full synthetic every 7500km. Sludge causes all sorts of problems on these motors so keep changing the oil and NEVER use 10W40. Cheers, Alan

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Alan,

Cheers for the response.
The issues eventually went away and I clocked over ~5000km on the car before it all started again.
The issues starting, stalling and really rough idle / hunting.

At this stage I know it has to be computer based (failing ECM, Sensor or faulty lume)
I just dont know where to look with it.

I have ScanXL and a OBDII interface but I can't seem to get the right data out of it

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Stale fuel?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you guys find a lot of sludge when you took the covers off? Hope you cleaned the sump pickup too so it's not starving for oil?

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
I must have filled up 8 or 9 times while it was running sweet.
That being said, when the issue came back it had just hit quarter of a tank, which I always try and avoid.

I have noticed that it now shows as empty so I guess the gauge is well out.
I filled it again, ran that tank out and its still giving issues.
Not sure if that rules out the stale fuel / water in tank issue

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
Did you find out what it was?