Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec - smoke on startup ??

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
Has anyone else notice their alloytec motors puff a bit of smoke just as they start up of a morning ?

i understand most people probably wouldn't notice however i start the car then straight away go and open my gate so i see the cloud of smoke behind it .....

now the interesting thing is that it has only done this 2 times now ..... first time was about 2500 km's on it .... then just this morning, its just over 10,000km's on it now ....

it doesn't blow any smoke when driving and 99% of startups, and when it does its only a small puff of smoke then nothing ... which leads me to think the valve stem seals are letting oil leak down over night and this is getting drawn into the motor in the first 2-3 seconds of startup .... either way its a brand new car, its a bit annoying .... even my worked 202 torana doesn't blow any smoke on startup .... geez .....

not happy jan :ranting:

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
Sammy said:
Has anyone else notice their alloytec motors puff a bit of smoke just as they start up of a morning ?

i understand most people probably wouldn't notice however i start the car then straight away go and open my gate so i see the cloud of smoke behind it .....

now the interesting thing is that it has only done this 2 times now ..... first time was about 2500 km's on it .... then just this morning, its just over 10,000km's on it now ....

it doesn't blow any smoke when driving and 99% of startups, and when it does its only a small puff of smoke then nothing ... which leads me to think the valve stem seals are letting oil leak down over night and this is getting drawn into the motor in the first 2-3 seconds of startup .... either way its a brand new car, its a bit annoying .... even my worked 202 torana doesn't blow any smoke on startup .... geez .....

not happy jan :ranting:

Mine did this once, I don't think it is caused by oil, I think it is overfuelling when first starting.

S

stew7700

I was looking at an sv6 with 15000km on it and when my brother started it i was standing behind it and a sh*tload of smoke came out on startup and again when he revved it. Thats the only one ive seen like that.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Never seen it here with my SV6 with 20000 on it :) It does steam a bit tho, but no smoke

MySV6

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
Utester said:
Mine did this once, I don't think it is caused by oil, I think it is overfuelling when first starting.
no its not, its definately blue smoke and sticking your nose into it also tells you its oil burning. if it was fuel it would be a grey/black smoke cloud.

as for a car doing it when its being revved, thats a good indication somethings stuffed in my opinion!

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
Sammy said:
no its not, its definately blue smoke and sticking your nose into it also tells you its oil burning. if it was fuel it would be a grey/black smoke cloud.

as for a car doing it when its being revved, thats a good indication somethings stuffed in my opinion!

It sounds like you have a problem, I understand the difference between oil and fuel smoke, mine was definately fuel.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
yeah im beginning to wonder if there is a problem too, problem is it happens so rarely i can't prove anything to holden ....

i told them when i got the first service done and they noted it on the service details so i will be doing the same thing at the next service and atleast that way there is a record that i have been telling them for ages.

Coolvx

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried until after the 15000k service as that will be your motors first oil change.
15000k,s for the first oil change is way tooooo long, expecially whilst running in the motor.

Cya

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
yeah i tend to agree, i've only ever rebuilt holden 6's (202) and when you build the motor yourself you know what goes into it and you want to do it all properly when running in etc, i change oil after 1500km's as a rule and then every 10,000km's after that .... i was most suprised when the first service didn't have an oil change.

having said that, i don't see how an oil change really should change anything ... blowing smoke in my opinion is a sign of a faulty/worn out part not a lack of oil change!

oh well time will tell.