Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Thermostat housing assembly - which one?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hey guys - going to replace thermostat housing etc whilst motor is out.

Visually the Dayco looks to be the better unit with fat o-rings, steel gasket etc but the spring action of the thermostat is extremely firm. The cheapie Tridon looks and feels exactly like the genuine type - thin o-rings and paper gasket too. Genuine item cost blows out because they sell all o-rings separately at $25 or more each!

I won't keep the ute forever but don't want failure in the next 3-4 years either. Anyone have feedback for either unit? thanks heaps

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
righto - again, zero responses. maybe everyone has moved onto FB groups and left the old forum in dinosaur land??

I went with the cheapie Tridon because the thermostat spring tension felt exactly like the genuine and Dayco was stiff as. The tridon actually looks to be the same poor finish in terms of machining and appearance as genuine for what it's worth.

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
I fitted the Dayco one I got from Repco to my Alloytec LEO. Engine was still in the car but that's another story. Can sit in traffic in middle of summer and only just peak over 100 but mostly sits around 90. No leaks and that was about 6 month ago now.

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
I bought a Gates one & it doesn't have the rubber seal on the valve like the genuine one has and also only a paper gasket.
I bought brown viton O rings from a bearing service because like you said the genuine ones are ridiculously priced.
I also turned the top " T " out at the spring & put the jiggler bleed valve at the top (up) to bleed better.
Cheers - Leigh

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All of it is **** now. Genuine or after market. No one cares about quality. Just buy what makes you feel ok.it’s a part of life now. Make sure you get a VZ one as the VE had a different but subtle difference due to different radiator.
Use a genuine cap. 140kPa. $30-$40 from Holden.

Thanks for the compliments about our forum. Sorry no one was there to be at your beck and call on demand.

We are not an organised group professionals offering a service. Just enthusiasts. As for FB, advice on there is misguided and inaccurate as much as any place. Hard to refrence info. This forum is no dinosaur. Must be a reason you turned here instead of FB. The forum still strong and a solid source of info that can be referenced easily.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've seen some of the fb groups.
There's the occasional piece of great advice on there but you need to know enough to sift out the comments from all the first timers whose dad's uncle auntie's nephew was a mechanic and thinks the problem with the windscreen wipers is always the timing chains. Great for a laugh sometimes.
You can be lucky sometimes and find the OE parts being sold by aftermarket shops. It makes sense that those factories would want the ongoing business so they don't end up shutting down like Holden did.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The forum still strong and a solid source of info that can be referenced easily.
Having said that I find the search function on this site useless as tits on a bull. You get a better hit rate going directly to Google in my experience.

A lot of the pages that come up when you ask Google a question come from here but if you search from within here it doesn’t seem to have as many hits.

Reactions: Lex

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Having said that I find the search function on this site useless as tits on a bull. You get a better hit rate going directly to Google in my experience.

A lot of the pages that come up when you ask Google a question come from here but if you search from within here it doesn’t seem to have as many hits.
It's good you figured it out so you won't be annoyed any more,
and in the words of a certain redhead, please explain WTF is facebook ??

edit.. I just looked and it appears it is the same as Parliament where people go to talk a load of krap
and tell everyone how good they are
as in lookatme lookatme.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

That’s why you use the Google search bar using “just commodores insert topic looking for” bamo.