Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Throttle Position Sensor problems

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm looking for some assistance from somebody who has experienced problems with the TPS on their Alloytec.

My 2006 Captiva has a 3.2 litre Alloytec so I'm assuming it's very similar to the one fitted to VZ's and early VE's.

In recent months, the Check Engine light has come on about once a week and the Tech 2 shows it to be a TPS related fault. The error code is cleared and the light disappears as it should. Following advice from the local mechanic that a sticking throttle valve can often be the problem, I have removed the throttle body and thouroughly cleaned it out and the car runs well when the light is off.

Recently, however, it comes on, followed by the Hill Descent Control (obviously a Captiva feature not found on Commies), plus the ESP on and ESP off lights, and the car goes into "limp home" mode. After a few hours, those three lights extinguish and the Check Engine light remains on, but the limp mode cuts out and the car runs normally. After a few hours more, the Check Engine light also goes off.

Earlier this week, the car went in for the recent factory recall to check the braking system. Whilst at the Holden dealer, I asked about the TPS problem. Apparently, early Captivas were known for this problem and the solution was the replacement of the whole throttle body assembly, which I was told is pretty expensive. Pretty damned wasteful too, I reckon if it's only the sensor.

My question is this. Has anybody else experienced this problem on their Alloytec in their VZ/VE or even Captiva and can the sensor be purchased seaparately? If so, anybody got any idea of the cost to purchase the sensor and is it a DIY job to install?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
the whole throttle assembly has to be replaced as it is a drive by wire setup. everything is integral under that black cover on that black cover on the side of the throttle body.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks wamboin23. I had a talk to the spare parts chap and he confirmed your advice. He also stated that, because of the multitude of varying throttle body assemblies used on the Alloytec, he only supplies them if the owner provides the VIN, to ensure the correct part number is ordered. Mine, being a Captiva, could have been different to VZ's or early VE's, but he said the part number was familiar to him, so I will check this out when I pick it up and post the info on the forum for the possible use of any future members with similar probs.

As my old part will be junk, I might see what's under that plastic cover once it's been replaced.

Blakegrouios

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 3.6 commodore
I have this exact same problem on my 2007 sv6. The check engine light and esp will come on and the car will hold at 1500 rpm very annoying! If I turn my car off and on the esp turns off but then engine light stays on for a couple of hours then turns off again. Did you end up finding a fix because I'm thinking of just buying a new throttle body

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. I ended up replacing it with a new throttle body from eBay.
Only takes a few minutes to fit yourself.
If you search my threads, I posted a fair bit on them.