Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec timing chain

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
0k all clean ready to start putting new parts back and its a headache working out which timing chain kit to buy.....how much genuine ..how much aftermarket...I would assume the chains would have to be factory items...anyone have any opinions?....or experience.....aftermarket chains made in japan any good? OR BETTER than factory? Its like buying tyres every seller has a version of whats good or not but they are trying to get you to buy their stuff.

viccib

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Executive Sedan
to pull the cover off, did you have to pull the motor out to change the timing chain?? thanks

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
to pull the cover off, did you have to pull the motor out to change the timing chain?? thanks
No just take out the fan shroud and there's plenty of room ... But if you were talking about the thermostat housing that's a different story

CRAIGVZCALAIS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hey markovr!
So did you work out that it was the gunk and **** that was the cause for the rattle? I just brought my VZ Calais a week ago, test drove it, it was fine, as I got home that night I barely picked up on the rattle. I drove the car all week and I did not hear any rattle until yesterday when I was driving and got stuck in peak hour but this time it was a lot louder so I haven't driven it since. It sounds the same as yours, hot engine, no fault codes or lights.
Hopefully I can work it out!!!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Due to me being slack and the footy ,the car is still in pieces but I reckon something sludge related had clogged the oil feed to one of the tensioners ... Probably the bottom one ... Funny thing was it happenned only once and drove it for a week or so ... Just short trips but it didn't happen again ... But I thought I'd just take the valve covers off and check out how bad the sludge was .... But before that the filter had plenty of **** in it .

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
ok got it all back together and started it ok and it took some time to run smooth but went ok but I noticed that when it was running you could hear the odd click from random places under the valve covers but thought nothing of it but after some 10-15 mins running that warmed the engine up ,the odd click transfered into small rattles from under both covers...I hate to say it but the noise is getting to be the same as before I pulled it apart. ..no oil pressure light but I did notice twice the low oil alarm came up and went away.
if I turn the engine off when it gets the rattle when i switch it back on it goes away for some time......
could the screen be blocked again?

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Could be a something blocking one of the galleries/ outlets and when you turn the engine off its enough for it to back off for a little bit. The screen could be blocked again too by stuff that got dislodged when you were cleaning up the front of the engine. Sucks. Could poke one of those snap-on cameras through the sump drain and see the pickup from there to see if its that, if you can borrow one from somewhere.

Sounds like a nightmare, i would have pulled the block and sent it to be acid dipped and cleaned. Thats the only sure way to get all the crap out.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Thing is it's exactly what was happening before I took it apart this time and similar to what happenned the first time but I wasn't driving it the first time but when it went it gave the dreaded check oil level and audible alarm and I fixed it 6 months ago with the screen clean .... And this time it gave me the alarm.
Looks like when it restricts the oil pressure first thing to be denied full oil pressure is the overhead stuff.
Tried diesel in the oil for a short time and it didn't clean it up .... Got a few front end noises in the suspension so at least it gives me an excuse to drop the crossmember again and change a few bits there but I could do without this

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
rattle

Thing is it's exactly what was happening before I took it apart this time and similar to what happenned the first time but I wasn't driving it the first time but when it went it gave the dreaded check oil level and audible alarm and I fixed it 6 months ago with the screen clean .... And this time it gave me the alarm.
Looks like when it restricts the oil pressure first thing to be denied full oil pressure is the overhead stuff.
Tried diesel in the oil for a short time and it didn't clean it up .... Got a few front end noises in the suspension so at least it gives me an excuse to drop the crossmember again and change a few bits there but I could do without this
did you remove and check the main bearings mine were stipped from having sludge and the screen blocked that will affect the oil pressure greatly

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Maybe the oil pump is stuffed too. Did you change it while changing the chains?