Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Timing Chains replacement

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Tensioners should take care of that once you hand turn the engine, if you have the marks lined up

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Well I just finished resetting all the chains and did a compression test with just the engine covers on. still very low compression - 75-100ish. Heads now coming off. Not happy.

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Well heads are off and the valves are leaking petrol when poured down the inlets and exhausts. Just gotta find a head reco shop in Brisbane now...
Will report back on my progress later

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
Chaney, sorry to hear your job didn't go as smoothly but hope it get back in order real soon. Are you yet to know where it went wrong?

Question: My crankshaft rotates ok by hand but the cams are stiff as and needs a bit of effort to rotate. Are the cams able to move more freely somehow? (I don't have the flywheel lock installed.) Thanks.

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Towards the front of the cams there is a standard hex built into the cams themselves - 19mm spanner by memory, will rotate them. They wont rotate freely due to the springs. I turned my engine with the old chains on until all marks were up top, and really didn't have to move the cams very much, if at all.

Head shop (Southside cylinder head - holden recommended them) called me, all the exhaust valves were carbon'd up and leaking badly (as I already mentioned) - no bent valves/stems tho. WTF i said. I really don't understand how as it was running great/lots of power, then once I diagnosed timing chain problem, I parked if for 2 weeks. Then went to start it just once to drive to my brothers place ie our work garage, but it just never started again???? Head shop guy said he's seen it several times were his customers have has complained that the car basically went bad overnight, and with the same problem to mine - carbon'd vavles?

Don't know why or how this happened..... but will have the heads back before this weekend, & rebuild no.2 is on the way :)

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
Finally got the new timing chains installed, all perfectly lined up with the markings. In the process of cleaning covers & gasket areas. Can I use the crankshaft balancer bolt/washer to reinstall the pulley or do i need a special tool? Thanks.

Chaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
There is yet another special tool you can use for that, but I just went to the bolt shop and bought a longer bolt & about 10 washers to space it out if needed. Costed about $12. Used a harmonic balancer puller and a few other things lying around the garage to rig up a tool. My crank bolt is not long enough to force the pulley back on (pressed on), I'm not sure about the keyed pulley's tho...

Got my heads back yesterday afternoon - all nice and shiny hopefully this weekend goes ok.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Finally got the new timing chains installed, all perfectly lined up with the markings. In the process of cleaning covers & gasket areas. Can I use the crankshaft balancer bolt/washer to reinstall the pulley or do i need a special tool? Thanks.

Bang the balancer on slightly with a soft face hammer, then put the old bolt and washe in and do it up to pull the balancer down the keyway. Then take this bolt out and put in the new balancer bolt to torque spec. (FT)

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
just curious, were the MY08's and MY09's fixed from factory with this problem?

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
HOORAY!!!!!! Car had trouble starting due to battery low so jump started it with my other car and now is running ok. No codes or engine lights so good... just waiting for a few runs just to check if any leaking oil from covers but so far so good... Thanks to everyone for their advice. Really appreciated.