Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Timing Chains

Tims

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute
So I have a 2005 VZ one tonner with a stuffed engine and have just found a donor sedan (late 2004) with the right engine (10HBA) to go into it. The sedan engine has 210k mileage on it, starts and runs sweet as, no timing chain rattles from cold or anything. Service book shows it has had all its previous services carried out and the previous owner said he always ran synthetic oil in it. Should I do the timing chains on it now when the motor is out or just throw it in? I did hear that the early Alloytec engines didn't have as many problems as the 2006 and later engines. Is that correct or are all the timing chains in these engines just shite? Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd probably leave em but pull off the rocker covers to check for sludge. If all clean I'd leave the chains for now. Depends how long you want to keep the car. If you're planning another ten years then think about chains now.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
A mate was recently looking at a 2005 VZ Calais and we looked into the issue and found the following info:
"In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the Alloytec V6 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576."

Going by that, the 2004 motor should be ok with the 9.5mm pitch chain. From what we read the chains don't actually stretch, they wear around the links which gives the same effect as if the chain had actually stretched.
My 2004 VZ wagon has 186k on it, bought it at 70k, and hasn't had any trouble with chain rattle etc. in the 10 years I've had it.

Tims

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute
Thanks guys. Will just throw it in and see how she goes I think. Will do the thermostat assembly while its out and hopefully it will be all good. Cheers

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Very good idea on the thermostat. Didn't think about it but definitely something to do with the motor out, way easier than with it in. A shame it ended up in such a bad spot, did the designers just not think that the motors might be used in a N-S orientation.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
why do you have, to have the, right engine to replace a stuffed one

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Cos it has to match your computer and stuff, or it won't run :(

gungazza