Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec V6 and ppotential for sludge build up

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It is well known that the Alloytec V6 is susceptible to extreme damage resulting from continued build up and depositing of engine oil sludge.

Obviously one way to reduce this risk is regular oil changes (using only that oil as recommended by the manufacturer) and oil filter replacement - at the same time.

Some people have been know to 'flush' their engine internally at the time of changing the engine oil. Is this beneficial ?

Is there any way of identifying any indicators that may suggest that sludge is in fact beginning to build up as a deposit in the engine?

If 'flushing' is seen as a technically proven method of maintaining a degree of internal engine cleanliness, what is the proven method used and acceptable cleaning/flushing medium?

Is there any supporting evidence that such an 'extreme' level of maintenance prolongs engine life?

How often should such engine actually be flushed?

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I've never had a sludged engine but I almost bought a VZ before I got my VY so did a lot of reading and concluded the following: A lot of people say flushing can dislodge sludge and best remedy is to do very frequent oil changes. i.e. every 1000km until problems seems to be gone. I see the theory here, that if you dislodge a huge chunk of sludge during flushing your pick up can easily be blocked. But by frequently changing oil you will gradually eat away at the sludge and it will eventually come out with your oil changes.

Pretty sure I read that some people run diesel as oil and start their engine and let it idle.........not sure they were being serious, sounds craaaaaazy to me!

Look for big black chunks when you change the oil or a build up under your cap. Or no oil coming out when you undo sump bolt......... I reckon it's just luck of the draw really, if it's sludged it can go bad (new engine) or you can work your way out of it with services or flushing. Good luck.

Additional reading.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/209734-2004-vz-commodore-oil-sludge-buildup-please-help.html
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/166971-vz-sludge-best-process-remove.html