Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Valve Stem Seals

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Fellers, am I going to be able to change the Alloytec valve stem seals without removing the heads?

Please advise.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes you can but you need specialized tools to do the job. You require a cylinder pressure adaptor with a pressure reg. This is to fill the cylinder with air to hold the valves up so they don't fall into the cylinder. Then you're going to need a on car spring compressor.

In this video Richard actually demonstrates this process.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I can't do the rope trick? I just wonder what parts I should order before I start. I want to do it all in one go because I live miles from anywhere and can't go anywhere to get stuff after I start. Be prepared and all that.

First time on the Alloytec for me.

I am going to have to remove the whole timing chain assembly, right? And will I need the camshaft alignment tool? Is there any way around that one?

Just looking in there, it looks difficult to get the overhead spring compressor in there once the cams are off. Maybe my valve spring compressor is not suitable? I have this kind.

WIN_20200517_08_23_10_Pro.jpg

If you reckon Thunderbirds are go, I am keen to get into it. Thanks for your reply. I see Fu Manchu likes it too, which gives me confidence.

Any more tips and tricks from anyone much appreciated.

I will post a bumbler's guide about it here when I am done.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Can use the rope trick but doing it six times will be quite time consuming.

I'm not sure about the spring compressor but from memory there's not much room near the springs. I would always perfer a bolt down lever style though.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks a lot for your advice.

Well, these things don't get themselves done. I am not going to get on a dress. I am going to get into it.

Best way to know is find out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just make sure to wear some eye protection whenever compressing springs since you only have two eyes.

And good luck with it... waiting for the write up, especially on turning the engine so valves are closed and what air pressures are needed so the valve spring can be compressed and valves don't drop into cylinder :cool:

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
That spring compressor doesn't fit. Not as is, anyway. So I have to deal with that problem now.

Very hot. 46 here today. Made me angry.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That spring compressor doesn't fit. Not as is, anyway. So I have to deal with that problem now.

Very hot. 46 here today. Made me angry.

I told you use the lever style. Drill some flat bar so it bolts to the rocker cover bolt holes weld a pivot on and get a bar the drill a hole to make a pivot then grind some steel into the right shape. Join it all together and you have a lever style one.