Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Valve Stem Seals

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I am keen to do it. I am going to bolt the bar for the pivot across the head, right, so I do two springs off the same bar?

I don't suppose you have any pic of what I am going for? I am just searching now.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
In the video I posted back further there is an example.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I am keen to do it. I am going to bolt the bar for the pivot across the head, right, so I do two springs off the same bar?

I don't suppose you have any pic of what I am going for? I am just searching now.
This pic might give you bit of an idea how to make one. Take note there is no handle on it. The longer the handle (with enough room to lever it) the more easier it is to compress the spring.
320springcompressor[1].jpg

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks a lot. It is very different inside the Alloytec head, but I reckon I will figure it out. I appreciate your help.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I nailed, it fellers. Thunderbirds are go.

I took all the gear downstairs, and started drilling and grinding etc. Heat notwithstanding, cause I am obsessed with it now.

Then I thought, bugger it, why don't I just try cutting a few of those pesky protuberances off the compressor I already got.

With a bit of grinding, filing and bending, I managed to get it to fit like a dream. It is now a really good tool.

Fully stoked.

Thanks again for your help. You gave me the inspiration for a fresh start, as well as Plan B.

I would be keen to see how to fashion the lever. To be honest, I was having trouble figuring it out. I was very worried about damaging the head. Those springs are really deeply recessed, and the bolt holes don't seem to be too conveniently placed.

Next time.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The joys of collets.

I can tell you now, there is a reason you don't see any pics or vids of anyone doing this with the heads still on the block.

I am actually going to try making the lever tool tomorrow, see if that makes things a bit easier. Getting the collets back into place in that little gap under the bridge on the tool is the issue.

Got a few done, but it is a miracle I haven't lost one yet.

Is there any special trick to getting them back in? I am compressing the spring and retainer, popping it back onto the valve, dropping the collets into place with a magnetised screwdriver, and then releasing the pressure.

The rope works a treat.

Last edited:

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I made the lever tool, and am doing a lot better with that.

I can tell you, it is still bloody hard in an alloytec. The exhaust valve springs are a bugger, especially as you get to the back of the motor.

Getting the collets off is easy. Putting them back in is the hard part. By myself, anyway. I have enlisted the help of a friend to have a crack at it tomorrow.

Naturally, one collet has already flown off to F knows where. Won't be the last either, I would imagine.

Does anyone know where I can order more online, please? Can't go scavenging with no car. It would be good to get a bunch.

Skylarking is spot on about the eye protection. Missing collet would have blinded me for sure when the lever slipped. Retainer made my forehead bleed.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Found that collet. Wasn't going to give up after I found they want $80 for 6 halves on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GM-1257...m1a43971d13:g:49AAAOSwBV5ae8vB&frcectupt=true

It is GM part no. 12575197. Mace doesn't stock them.

I am doing it in a car park, with a garden next to me. Took some searching. I ought get a job with CSI.

I am tight about money. In debt. Lot of incentive. I just kept looking until finally, in perhaps the sweetest moment of my life, I laid eyes upon it, garnishing a tussock.

I am so going to sort whoever next wants to tackle this job with the engine still in the car.

I will reveal my all new lever and wedge technique. Allows a man to insert collets with dignity. Even gets that bastard at the back.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea collets are a pain lol they want to come back with the magnet. I know the suffering.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Put some vasaline or grease inside the collets they will stick when you place them on the valve stem