Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec vs. sidi

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
so the time has come to upgrade the ute to a wagon and would like some opinons on those that have gone from alloytec to a 3.6sidi and do they find it a noticable change and any pro's con's. I would like a v8 however with all the problems that i have heard with afm and the lifters i will hold off for a while, will most likely go the v8 route with the vf release in a few years when they may rework the v8 engines.

mad macks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute S2
I gotta VZ SVZ 2007 ute with STD 187KW and also a Series 2 Sidi SV6 ute both are 6 speed manuals.
VZ engine has more torque at low( 2,000RPM) revs
This probably makes it a better engine as a workhorse

The VE2 is much more rev happy and keeps going until rev limiter (6,700 RPM i think)
I much prefer the SIDI engine as it is a smooth free reving engine by comparison
I average 10.8 L/100 KM with the VZ and about he same with VE SIDI
I drive the VE 11 like its a large sports car
I am suprised that they made a big vehicle to be so much fun to drive

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'd only go the alloytec if it was manual, the SIDI alloytecs have a much better auto.

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
I Own a VE sv6 ALLOYTEC. and i raced sidi and there bout the same.

But if your thinking of doing few engine mods ( intake, exhaust ) the sidis are harder to find. i what i heard

Also mate , the AFM only applys if the car is an auto.

Btw mate , can i ask why you would spend money on a sportwagen?

Hope this helps.

Hussy.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
so the time has come to upgrade the ute to a wagon and would like some opinons on those that have gone from alloytec to a 3.6sidi and do they find it a noticable change and any pro's con's. I would like a v8 however with all the problems that i have heard with afm and the lifters i will hold off for a while, will most likely go the v8 route with the vf release in a few years when they may rework the v8 engines.

The HSV R8 tourer should be your choice.......... if it was cheaper and no issues with LS3

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i think there's a huge difference between the old alloytec and SIDI's, but its not just the engine- its the drivetrain update too. The new 6 speed it lightyears ahead of the old clunker.

you'll love the wagon too.... best car I've ever owned (but make sure you get reverse camera).

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I Own a VE sv6 ALLOYTEC. and i raced sidi and there bout the same.

But if your thinking of doing few engine mods ( intake, exhaust ) the sidis are harder to find. i what i heard

Also mate , the AFM only applys if the car is an auto.

Btw mate , can i ask why you would spend money on a sportwagen?

Hope this helps.

Hussy.

Couldn't let this go sorry...it's all bollox. The same mods are available for the SIDI as are for the Alloytec as essentially they are the same engine bar the fuel injection system and AFM is V8 only.

Edit: Sorry I must correct myself there and apologise to HussySV6 as the 3 litre SIDI is different because the exhaust manifold port is just a single outlet in each bank as apposed to the 3 in each bank of the 3.6 litre....soz.

Last edited:

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
Well obviously i dont know for FACT that that is true, hence me saying "is what i heard" Coz my mate has one and he just bought a vcm intake and needed to get an adapter to make it work.

Also when i know AFM is only for V8 , i was answering the secound part of his question.

Sorry if the my statements are false , its just what i was told, i own a alloytec.

Hussy.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Well obviously i dont know for FACT that that is true, hence me saying "is what i heard" Coz my mate has one and he just bought a vcm intake and needed to get an adapter to make it work.

Also when i know AFM is only for V8 , i was answering the secound part of his question.

Sorry if the my statements are false , its just what i was told, i own a alloytec.

Hussy.

then why are you giving the OP information if you dont know?