Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytech stuff up

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
I just found out the slight knocking noise in my 175kw motor is the timeing chain, apparently it's a build defect by Holden that the vz motors are fitted with the wrong size timeing chain and is only noticeable when the cars hit 130000km, annyone heard of this and how much it might cost to repair thanks guys:bomb:

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
Yeah, I've heard abit about it. Was the reason why I bought an older car like the VX instead of getting the missus a VZ or even a VE.

Drove a few low-spec VE's and I have to say I wasn't impressed what-so-ever

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Yeah, I've heard abit about it. Was the reason why I bought an older car like the VX instead of getting the missus a VZ or even a VE.

Drove a few low-spec VE's and I have to say I wasn't impressed what-so-ever

What does any of this have to do with his question?

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
What does any of this have to do with his question?

The build defect he was referring to. I fail to see how some of the people on here got thier license, when they struggle to put two and two together......

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
The build defect he was referring to. I fail to see how some of the people on here got thier license, when they struggle to put two and two together......

I fail to see how you got your license when you can't even spell 'thier' properly.

Your post had zilch relevance to the question he was asking. The early vz's were the only cars with this problem, the ve had no such problems. :banstick:

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Hey Mate,
Did you have any luck sorting out the issue? Have heard of the same issue on a few alloytecs now which is a shame.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
No need to fix it. Mines has bad timing chain rattle on startup since i got the car with 90k the clock. The problem was fixed in the VE's btw.

rb0135

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
Yep.. Just got mine replaced (lucky under warranty).

There is a fault with in the early models of the alloytec. Mine is the 190, not the 175.

I was told that is is a known fault at Holden and they hope people let it go and not get it fixed until too late (I personaly think it should have a recall on it). They said not getting it fixed, will cause major damage from the 150000km.

I was told there is a modification to the timing change components (which as mentioned above is fixed in later versions). Because of these modifications, they had to change the oil pump and other components.

Dont worry too much as the chain wont snap (not like a timing belt) but you will progressively start to loose power. On long runs (20Km+), once it was warmed up, I found that I hardly had any power from the engine.

Just my 2 cents worth. Like I said most of the info above, I was told about.. I'm no expert though.

Rob

Edit: Mine had only done 85000KM

Last edited:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Yep.. Just got mine replaced (lucky under warranty).

T They said not getting it fixed, will cause major damage from the 150000km.

I was told there is a modification to the timing change components (which as mentioned above is fixed in later versions). Because of these modifications, they had to change the oil pump and other components.

Dont worry too much as the chain wont snap (not like a timing belt) but you will progressively start to loose power. On long runs (20Km+), once it was warmed up, I found that I hardly had any power from the engine.

Mate a loose timing chain will not cause any damage (unless it snaps, ive had timing chains snap on me before!!!) or loose ANY power to the motor lol. The only downside is the noise which is a little embarrassing on such a new car.
My timing chain is loud as hell and the car has been on the dyno and made good power ect. Out of curiosity how much do Holden quote to have the fault with the timing chain fixed??

rb0135

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
Well, I have proof that I lost power because of it, and the Techline article states that, but i wont argue about it.. it was fixed and there is a difference.

Its not actually a loose timing chain that is the fault. It is another component that causes the fault, including the chain. If you are interested, i can always pull out the service card and see if it states what was replaced.

As mine was under warranty, I didnt find out the cost, but because they had to strip most of the front of the engine down (they had to replace more than a timing chain), it took over 2 days to complete (probably the apprentices were doing it) and that would probably amount to a lot just in Labour Costs (specially delaership costs).

Rob