Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Almost lost power when driving

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'04 VZ Executive, '98 EL Falcon, '95 NF Fairlane
Well yesterday when driving home our 1996 VS Exec Wagon 286,000kms auto. Almost lost all power when driving (includes engine, lights, everything) but then power was restored before the car engine could shut down????

I wasn't driving my friend was but he said he thinks it was when he was breaking.

There was just over 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

What do you think could have been the problem?

Any Help will be appreciated.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do a code check, but I suspect the crank angle sensor is on it's way out.

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
As above yes that link will show you how to check for error codes, now if your Crank angle sensor is not on it's way out, then it may be an issue with your earth in your car... there's cable that runs from the negitive terminal on your battery to the body of the car, check and make sure this is not loose :)

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Code 12 - System Pass (OK)

The negative wiggles.
The positive is cracked not all the way and is considerably loose.

EDIT: But both are as tight as they go

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You may need to fit new terminals then.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
ok, I would suggest check closely the condition of the cables connected to your battery, if there very dark and brittle, you'll need to shed these back until the clean copper wire attach new battery terminals...
also get some terminal cleaner from supercheap, spray terminals on battery... also spary on the negitive earth cable to your cars body and tighten!!!

Check also the cable condition behind your alternator, check the insulator which is the black plastic peice the wire sits in front of, if that's cracked or sh1tty then replace, also check cable condition, the heat and mass voltage the alternator pumps out can cause the cable to turn to dust... then it may also need to be cut back to the stonger copper further down the cable....

If you are not confidant with this, then DO NOT attempt...

Another idea is... and I have noticed with other commodores, is when pulling up to a set of lights or stop intersection the car may almost stall, like ruggedly trying to change gears, this can be an issue with the transmission not changing back gears correctly, this can almost stall a car... check trans fluids...
another check would be spark plug cables, if it's been a few years since replacing these, then replace now... also check spark plugs, if dodgy looking replace also...
and at a last guess, coil pack my be on it's way out.. but deal with that last if these above issues have been sorted...
Good luck mate...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If your battery connectors aren't tight, loosen them off and insert a thin piece of metal between the connector and the battery post then re-tighten.