Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine issues in VZ Crewman.

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
I have been using the factory Blaupunkt single CD head unit in my 2007 VZ Crewman since I bought the car. I had it modified to accept an old I Pod Classic....worked great.

The door speakers died and I replaced all them with Alpine S-S65 co-axial speakers.

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/speaker-systems/s-series/s-s65/

Then I wanted a little more punch than the factory head unit would provide. But at that time I wanted to keep the factory look. So in went one of these little Alpine power amps. KTP-445U.

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/processors-accessories/amplifiers-accessories/ktp-445u/

Then time rolled on and I wanted Bluetooth so I could get Spotify in my car. CD was not an issue...I-Pod not an issue.

So I got an Alpine head unit, a 7 inch touch screen model with a VZ facia and patch lead, iso lead, and steering wheel lead. It went in quite well and works great. The Alpine iLX-702D looks and works well.

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/navigation/audio-visual-receivers/ilx-702d/

But I have one big issue. Where did the BASS go? The factory head unit, the Alpine speakers and even the little Alpine power amp had heaps of low end grunt.

All I did was take out the old head unit and put in the new one. It has heaps of volume. It is clear and the low end sounds are there...just no punch.

I have read everything...including the owners manual....watched videos....and nothing works.

Have I done something wrong?

I found a good price on an under seat sub-woofer, and grabbed one. An Alpine PWE-S8 arrived today.

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/subwoofers/compact-subwoofers/pwe-s8/

I have to work Sat and Sun. So Monday the front passenger seat will come out at the sub will go in. I am certain it will all work well together. But my query still remains....where did the low end go? The Blaupunkt had great low end, and was only enhanced by the little power amp and better door speakers.

The iLX-702D has a beautiful, loud, clear sound, but is like the low end just disappeared.

Anybody have any idea if I need to change a setting? I have reset the head unit a number of times and started again. It has all these sound settings and adjustments....none make Odesza sound good.

Your advice will be greedily consumed. Thank you in advance. :)

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well today it was bloody cold this morning and I could not be bothered to pull the front out of my car...but tomorrow is the day.

This is a real query, not an advertisement. I just tried to lay out all the info on the parts to my car stereo system.

I am really wondering if I have done something wrong...or are the Alpine iLX-702D head units just terrible with BASS?

I have watched a few more videos from YouTube and read a couple of articles on Crutchfield which were really helpful.

Plans for tomorrow....unplug the negative battery terminal and wait 30 mins....might rip out the dash front area and centre console while I wait...then remove the front passenger seat...run power from battery into cabin...got some nice thick and heavy power cable. Then connect and/or extend the Head Unit to the sub-woofer remote lead. I have a set of rica leads that are long enough to go from the head unit to the sub-woofer. I also have to adjust the length of a nice thick lead for the earth/ground lead and run it back to the shared ground point for the head-unit and amp under the centre console.

I will set everything back to flat or zero or the mid point before I tune the amp to the head unit....then the sub-woofer to the amp and head unit.

Any ideas you guys may have to help me work out why I have no Bass would be great. Thank you in anticipation.

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the sub-woofer is in and it works. Suddenly there is a lot more low end sound than before....but it still lacks some punch. My car is full of clear and dynamic sound....but it does not rumble....Odesza seems flat...10cc Dreadlock Holiday, which I play on Bass Guitar, is missing most of the low end.

I have tried tuning and setting up every part of this.....and have followed guides on the net.

It is now extremely loud and very clear....just not rumbling my spuds.

Any ideas or guides as to what to do now will be happily accepted. Thank you for even reading. :)