Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alpine type R 12' amp advice needed!

kriscattan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i have an alpine 12' type R sub all ready to go but i need some advice on what amps to look at. atm ill just be running the sub with my stock VR speakers, well as far as i know they are stock. Ive been into Alberts and of course they directed me straight to a $700 amp. but i think that's a bit overboard. i also went into audiocom, told them what type of sub i have and they basically said they cant tell what amp i need just from a name, so that was no help. next plan is to take my sub in and get them to have a good look

here are the sub specs:

12" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
1500W Peak, 500W RMS
Power operation between 200-500W RMS
Dual Voice Coil- Available in D4 (2 or 8 ohm operation) or D2 (1 or 4 ohm operation) [Select below]
Kevlar reinforced pulp cone
Santoprene rubber surround
Cast aluminium frame with perimeter venting
Transfer Plate, designed and Engineered in the USA
Dual Progressive Oversized Nomex Spiders
Dual Stacked Magnets
Frequency response: 23-500 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB
Depth: 19.5cm

im hoping for something under $500
any advice is appreciated
cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep we will need the model number of the sub as they come in dual 4 and dual 2 ohm configurations. This will help us suggest a suitable amp for your sub, you'll definitely be able to get something decent for under $500.

If its a 4 ohm model - SWR1242D then the Alpine MRP-M500 is perfect, with a RRP of $499 im sure you could find it for around $400.
Thats also if you want to stay with Alpine for the amp, heres a few other options that produce a similar amount of power:

Kenwood KAC-9104D - 900wrms at 2 ohm - $349 at Ryda which is an excellent price.
JL Audio G1700 - 700wrms at 2 ohm - $486 at Ryda.

If its a 2 ohm model - SWR1222D then heres a few suggestions to suit:

Once again the Kenwood KAC-9104D will be suitable, its stable at 1 ohm so it'll work with the dual 2 ohm version.
Option Audio OAX801 - 820wrms at 1 ohm, Joe from Shopping Secure is a sponsor on here, so he may be able to give you a small discount.

So as you can see theres a few options that will power that sub easily and for well under the $500 mark ;)

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I ran 2 of these sub's for a while, some time ago. I can tell you they will take a fair bit more than the rated 500 input in a sealed enclosure. Also, disregard the manafactuer's reccomendations for enclosure size's, anything less than 2cu ft per driver, will hinder their low fq abilities...

kriscattan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
thanks for the quick replies, i think i might look into the Kenwood amp, seems like a good deal. plus being cheap i have more money for other stuff like a wiring kit :p

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Option Audio OAX801 is $310 including shipping btw if interested :)