Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine type R pack

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
Type R's are a more SPL (volume) speaker than a SQ (quality), so it would go loud enough for most people, but would leave a bit to be desired for very fussy listeners. The amp won't give the sub enough power to get the most out of it, but if you don't want overpowering bass it would still do the job.

I have no idea why schrinky thinks its a type-s sub though.

You COULD get better for the same price, but if you are happy to pay for the convenience then its up to you

i couldnt find the swr-1223d type-R 12" subwoofer

all i could find was a 1222 or a 1224 in the type R...maybe im going crazy!!! well.......yeah can you show me where i went wrong....please!

whats better for quality??? i was thinking of putting in some of the kicker splits......the guy at JB said they were better for metal and instrumental compared with the alpines.....my guess is he was talking BS

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
i couldnt find the swr-1223d type-R 12" subwoofer

all i could find was a 1222 or a 1224 in the type R...maybe im going crazy!!! well.......yeah can you show me where i went wrong....please!

whats better for quality??? i was thinking of putting in some of the kicker splits......the guy at JB said they were better for metal and instrumental compared with the alpines.....my guess is he was talking BS

So why would you assume its a type s? It should be the swr-1222D (He says, without even opening google for the 15th time tonight to make sure)

Type x or DD linear is better for quality...or do you mean what do I recommend for quality?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
hey this is my first post so sorry if anything is done wrong.

im after a new system for my car, i am looking into this and wanting to know what you guys think.

ok first of all this set up is $1499 and then $200 for them to install it for me.

pdx-5 5/3 channel amplifier
not sure on this amps specs

spr-17c type-R 6.5 coaxial speakers
- 300w peak power
- 100w rms

spr-17s type R 6.5 component speakers
-330w peak power
-110 rms

swr-1223d type-R 12" subwoofer
- 1800w peak power
- 600w rms

i want to know what you guys think about this and what type of sound this would give me,
thanks

Hey mate,

I have a very similar setup to what your intending on getting. I'd have to agree with most people that the amp will simply not give you the full potential for the rest of the components. Speakers are rated to 100/110wrms and out of this amp you'll only get 75wrms to each speaker, sub output is only rated to 300wrms but if it's the SWS-1223d then that will be sufficient. In saying that though it doesn't mean it won't sound great.

I am very happy with the sound quality, I've had many many different system setups and for me Alpine was what I was looking for in terms of the sound I wanted. This amp gives you one main advantage and that is that you only have to install 1 amp.

You asking for people's opinions on a forum everyone will give you a different opinion, which in some ways is good but other ways confusing. It really depends on what kind of sound you're after and what kind of music you generally listen to. Best advice would be to go and check these components out yourself to get an idea on how it will sound.

bog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim
thanks man, yeah i think ill stick to alpine. so would you suggest a better amp or just keep this set up?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
thanks man, yeah i think ill stick to alpine. so would you suggest a better amp or just keep this set up?

I'd suggest 2 amps if anything, a mono sufficient to power your sub and a 400-600wrms 4 channel for your speakers. But that again all depends on you budget. I'd suggest to install it yourself, that way you could save $200 for the install. Depends how much you wanna get your hands dirty, there's plenty of info around these forums to help you out. $200 is pretty cheap for an install though. Do you know if this package includes a wiring kit? A good quality wiring kit can cost anywhere from $50 upwards.

bog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim
nah gotta get the wiring kit i think he said $70 maby somthing like that. so this system isnt bad at all tho?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
If you use the full potential of each component then it's a very nice system indeed. I'm only running a 600wrms mono amp with 2 x SWR-1242D subs which are rated to 500wrms each and it's enough to make my ears hurt. I'd hate to think what 1000wrms would do. I listen to a wide variety of music, anything from rap to rnb to progressive music and if you get your system tuned right then the clarity is great. I'm not going to go and say it's the best system ever because that's just stupid. Again its opinionated. For my budget and my taste it's more than enough. What are you looking to get out of it?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
nah gotta get the wiring kit i think he said $70 maby somthing like that. so this system isnt bad at all tho?

Yeah, its a pretty good little setup really. $70 for wiring and $200 for install is pretty cheap as well!

EDIT: I should add that I agree that the amp isn't ideal for the system as well. You would be hard pressed to find a single amp that will power all that though. I'd power it with a decent 125wrms+ 4ch for the speakers, then a 600wrms+ monoblock for the sub

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
i apologize, wow, staring me in the face, i must be crazy!!! sorry for the drama! i seriously couldnt find it!!
by quality i mean how crisp they are, can they deal with nice crisp high's without having a fit....i cant really describe what i want, im more of a home theater and stereo kinda guy that just wants something decent in my car rather than the rather average holden genuine!
if you have ever heard of a company called tannoy then you will know what kind of sound i am after, i hate with a passion very bass heavy systems and want something that can have an entire range but still be cheap enough like under $250 for the front splits...anyways, im going to stop on this thread i have caused enough trouble tonight with my miss understanding