Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine type R vs S

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
My car is going into Freeway audio in Dandenong on the 5th for an audio install. Have settled on all Alpine gear. At the moment a type S install is planned containing the following plus all the doors lined in dynamat. Also a remote sub level control installed.

d2e5.jpg

But I can't decide, and don't really know if it would be worth upgrading to the following.

ak2n.jpg

I know they are obviously better and the two amps will deliver far more power. Listening to both systems in the shop I couldn't tell much difference between the two, but it's hard to tell because they weren't cranked right up and run off different amps ect?

Anyone got any advice?

LAP004

lifes-likethat
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
i got all type r's in my vp commo. havent had any problems sounds awesome. sound even better when i finally do sound deadening in the boot and doors.

i have had type S in the past also great but have blown up speakers due to me abusing them lots.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
what was told to me when i bought type r 6.5" splits was:

Type R require more power and have more depth and tonal bass than type S
Type S can sort of be run from a decent head unit but will always sound best hooked to an amp.
I found type R's to be thicker in sound with tonal bass
I found type S's to be clearer but lacking in tonal bass in comparison to type r's

vb project car has sps6(something 6" splits in the rear) and type s 6.5 two-ways in the front

it's all up to taste and budget

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
what was told to me when i bought type r 6.5" splits was:

Type R require more power and have more depth and tonal bass than type S
Type S can sort of be run from a decent head unit but will always sound best hooked to an amp.
I found type R's to be thicker in sound with tonal bass
I found type S's to be clearer but lacking in tonal bass in comparison to type r's

vb project car has sps6(something 6" splits in the rear) and type s 6.5 two-ways in the front

it's all up to taste and budget

Can you explain what tonal bass is mate?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I've had 2 Type S 12" Subs and 1 Type R 12" Sub and they seem very close in terms of doof. Quality of the Type R's bass is much better though. So two Type R's would be pretty damn good, in my opinion one Type S isn't really enough

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
well you know what sub bass is, tonal bass is 120hz and above not the doof doof type of bass but the muscial range bass.

my above post is only in relation to the 6" speakers in sound differences, not the subs.

Type r had thicker bassier sound
type s had clearer sound with less bass.

LAP004

lifes-likethat
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
I've had 2 Type S 12" Subs and 1 Type R 12" Sub and they seem very close in terms of doof. Quality of the Type R's bass is much better though. So two Type R's would be pretty damn good, in my opinion one Type S isn't really enough

my two type R 12'' subs go very well. :)

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
well you know what sub bass is, tonal bass is 120hz and above not the doof doof type of bass but the muscial range bass.

my above post is only in relation to the 6" speakers in sound differences, not the subs.

Type r had thicker bassier sound
type s had clearer sound with less bass.

Gotcha mate thanks. I'm not really after massive bass but I just don't want to be disappointed. If I go the S package the subs only going to be getting 250w rms at 4 ohms (which I assume they run at?) or the R it will be getting 650w rms at 4 ohms, which seems a lot better. I've had and heard underpowered subs before and it's just bad.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
After selling and installing dozens of these packages, I can help you with this question too!! lol

The Type S package is the best value for money package, hence it is very popular. Don't be deceived by the cheap price, the sound is more than enough for most people. The package is well balanced and is a decent upgrade over factory. Type S speakers have good range and do not need large amounts of power to perform well. But... The tweeters can sound very harsh/scratchy if over driven.

I feel that the current range of Type R equipment from Alpine isn't what it used to be. The quality has dropped considerably over previous models. They are still a good speaker, they will go loud, but I don't feel they aren't a big step-up from the Type S range anymore.

Apart from the price difference also consider the extra cost of installation, with an addition amp comes more cables and labour costs.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
After selling and installing dozens of these packages, I can help you with this question too!! lol

The Type S package is the best value for money package, hence it is very popular. Don't be deceived by the cheap price, the sound is more than enough for most people. The package is well balanced and is a decent upgrade over factory. Type S speakers have good range and do not need large amounts of power to perform well. But... The tweeters can sound very harsh/scratchy if over driven.

I feel that the current range of Type R equipment from Alpine isn't what it used to be. The quality has dropped considerably over previous models. They are still a good speaker, they will go loud, but I don't feel they aren't a big step-up from the Type S range anymore.

Apart from the price difference also consider the extra cost of installation, with an addition amp comes more cables and labour costs.

Cheers for the info, very informative as usual mate! Yea I've been quoted $1800 all up including full dynamating of all 4 doors, sub box ect and the remote sub level control. Sounds pretty good to me. Can't wait haha.