Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alpine type-x speakers. opinions?

sim_vs

can't work out avatars :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Statesman
hey guys, thinking about picking up a set of type-x speakrs for the stato, i'v heard nothing but good things about these speakers. looking at a set that are around the $700 margin.
now, i'v heard that these things need ALOT of power to perform as well as they should, so what would be my best option in terms of amps etc? the system in my car is dead stock apart from the HU, all speakers etc are standard.
cheers.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Have you heard them? The type x are nice speakers, if you like the sound of them. IMHO there are better sounding splits out there for the money. Or equal quality for less. Not bagging alpine, they are very high build quality and if you like the sound they are a good choice.

Make sure you listen to them first, with your music. There are a great deal of stunning splits within that price range. Try and listen to as many different brands as you can. Look for focal, boston acoustics, mb quart, hertz, rainbow, DLS... etc. They all have there own characteristics, weaknesses and strengths. Only you can decide which sounds best to you.

Most splits in that price range will need an amp with between 50 to 120 wrms to really shine. There are exceptions though. Speakers of this calibre will quickly highlight deficiencies in the rest of the system. So good quality amps are a must. A good rule of thumb is to budget about the same as the splits for the amp. Installation is also very important to get the best out of them, sound deaden and seal the front doors at least.

Cheers

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i dont think it is worth getting type x unless u upgrade ur head unit

to get the best quality of these speakers you will need a high quality head unit as well as good amps, amplifier wise i dont recon that you will get much better than the alpine amplifier to suit the speakers but you will be up for a lot of money...hang on a sec...the $700 amp should do it, but the $900 1 will give you much better results, or else i would go infinity for amps as they are also of very high quality but not sure of the price (should be similar)

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Slim, Check your PM mate

Last edited:

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
I have the Alpine Type X 6.5" splits in the front doors of my vx commodore running off the Alpine MRV-F545 4 channel amp. I get i nice crisp sound from them, best speakers i ever bought. Highly recommended.

VY5Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S - 5 Speed
Yeh, my mates got some in his VR Calais, totaly unbelievable sound quality, absolutley crank. But unless you gonna run them of a decent amp than there wouldnt be much point. They do need a fair amount of power to function fully, and a head unit wouldnt be able to provide this power.

Daniel

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
haha i love it how people describe type x as crisp. so read; clear but not harsh tweeters with sub-standard woofers!
really, they are ok but there are so many other options... dls, focal, blaupunkt, soundstream, nak........

coldasice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 A4
Have a look at the Dynaudio 240 range also. They are good speakers and you can get them in the same price range on special.

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
i have type r splits and they are mad. type x should be a step above, but they cost quite a bit more. to get the best out of the type x, i would recommend the 4*75W v12 amp from alpine. (MRV-F345 4 / 3 / 2 Channel Power Amplifier). i have alpine HU, front split, rear 2 ways, sub and 2 amps - alpine everything. no regrets at all.
Hope you like them coz i know i do!

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
covert77, how much did it cost u for ur whole setup? if i was to do a full sound setup again, this is probably the way i would go