Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Al's new VY SS *my last car for 5 years+ i swear!*

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
hi guys, as some of you may know ive been through a few cars in the last few years

my first car i adored, i spent way too much money on it and looked nice
Was a VY S that was cammed, p plater spec, beautiful paint, nice wheels, interior retrimmed blah blah list goes on.

I loved the car, but wanted something different, so i purchased a supra and spent a bitof cash on that too...

The car now resides in Coffs Harbour (4 hours north from where i live) and as far as i know the car is still going strong to this day.
The guy that bought it from me got a deal and a half.
Harlen, if youre reading this, PM me!!

Anyways, heres a pic of the VY S

b7yope.jpg

My next car was a toyota supra (na :( ) and was a fun car for still being on P's at that stage , but i knew it was going to be a money pit, so i sold it
the thing had coil overs, recaros, underbody bracing, mega expensive jap wheels, custom paint etc etc
My plan was to 1j it, but after it being a nuisance for daily duties and needing a daily , my plans for that were chopped (oh well)

23t38qu.jpg

My next car was a honda accord euro 07
GREAT car, like brand new. Only purchased this because it was sooo tidy, 65000ks and it fulfilled all the daily duties i needed with ease
also fantastic on fuel (900+ks to a tank around town, 1100+ hwy ks no word of a lie!)

heres a pic:

2r5dp9i.jpg

Then, after feeling like i had my balls chopped off because of the lack of power, i priced up some SS commodores and clubsports. Surprised, this one was in my price range, 155000 ks and all original (even the exhaust system!)
The thing is very well kept and despite some of its minimal imperfections which ill massage out, its a great car for its age.
This car fills out every duty i need, which is, power, 4 door, sounds great, auto (manual in arvo traffic is F***ed), big boot, comfy and super sporty

After feeling like ive chopped and changed cars too frequently, ive finally settled on a car that i adore more than all of my prior cars

ive made a pact to make sure i dont buy another car for 5 years!

Any ways, here it is! my new VY SS! dealer photos only atm, sorry! until i get it detailed properly

dz9tab.jpg

5uocyf.jpg

10n5lbk.jpg

Pros:
Excellent condition inside and out
Seats show no signs of wear
V8
auto (yes, thats a pro for me)
able to fill out daily duties
Dat V8 rumble
Sooooo comfy
Oem stereo is good
the car is straight, with no prior major damage
Fuel consumption is quite good for what it is

Cons:
broken volume switch
brakes need machining
front bar needs a respray (not up to my standard)
Not as quick as my dads vy2 clubby (expected)

Future mods:
Calais window moulds
exhaust system (suggestions?)
decent detail
change the wheels asap, chromies arent my style
slotted rotors
Corvette servo
SS floor mats

Cheers guys for reading my novel! id love to hear your thoughts and suggestions with the car!
And no, i wont be swapping for anything else!

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Very nice the white looks awesome! What rims are you thinking?

With your brakes id recommend not machining them and just replacing them outright.

I just bought a set of dba t2's slotted rotors which ill be fitting which are about $100 a corner. Just make sure to get new pads at the same time. Contact gls motor sport they are a sponsor here and can give u a deal!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Looks good man , Sounds like you got yours for cheap like I got mine . Don't worry man Ive had 6 cars so far in like 5 years lol

notStock

evolving
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS M6
"Last car for five years"

Thats what I told myself when I got the VZ - 3rd commodore and 4th car since I started driving.

As for exhausts: I've got big headers (1 7/8" 4-1's), 200cpi cats and a Manta 2.5" catback. Hit up Not_An_Abba_Fan for info about the manta's, but I think theyre the go. Fit properly, sound more refined than xforce as well.

And nice car too man.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Yeah on the exhaust subject. I have a full difillipo its pretty daily friendly dead quite on the freeway. Absolutely no drone, the note is a refined v8 tone on acceleration and has that crackle and gurgle when u down shift. Im addicted to my exhaust note atm id definitely recommend it but its not a take your head off and wake the neighbors loud.

It came on the car but have heard difillipo stuff is very pricey.

notStock

evolving
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS M6
Yeah on the exhaust subject. I have a full difillipo its pretty daily friendly dead quite on the freeway. Absolutely no drone, the note is a refined v8 tone on acceleration and has that crackle and gurgle when u down shift. Im addicted to my exhaust note atm id definitely recommend it but its not a take your head off and wake the neighbors loud.

It came on the car but have heard difillipo stuff is very pricey.

Mine crackles and pops like a SOB, suspect its alot more to do with the tune than the exhaust really, as I had a very similar setup on my LS1 6speed calais, didn't crackle at all.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Cheers guys for the kind words

i think for the exhaust set up im thinking of running the 2.5" twin system with sports muffler (straight pipes instead of rear muffler way too loud and droney, true?)
+ eventually get some hsv clubsport headers on there, mainly because theyre cheap, wont have to modify anything and will give the nice sound and flow
not aiming for high numbers or anything like that, just something that sounds nice and flows better than stock

if i had the money, id jump at the kpm/difillipo system, however, i cant justify spending that much money for a daily driver + not aiming for high kw numbers/performance, so no point going for the best really

Car was dropped off today for replacement rotors and bendix pads, so cant wait to get it back. Its going to be nice braking and not shaking the f**k out of the steering rack

Also picked up a set of brand new 17" shadow chrome bsa meshies for $500, so theyll be going on soon enough once i get a set of tyres i like on them

Edit: pic of the rims
2h89z6v.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
One thing that has been bothering me since i got this car has been the slap happy detail job that the dealership did in order to get it looking nice for inspection on the car lot.
For some reason nearly all car dealerships like to use this horrible oil sh*t that goes everywhere, attracts major dust, leaves everything greasy and is left in puddles throughout the interior plastics. Dont even get me started on the stench of the stuff....

So, today i got into it and cleaned everything thoroughly using detergent+ water mixed in a bucket to strip the oil off everything, then followed it up by spraying some meguiars quick interior detailer all over the plastics, rubbers and vinyl.
This was the result of all that:

2duy0k9.jpg

After everything was vacuumed and cleaned properly i then used some kitten car shampoo to clean off the seats and rid it of all the ass sweat it had deep down under the fibres. Once this was done i got onto the door cards and dressed all rubbers, vinyl and plastic with 303 aerospace protectant
This is how it looks now after all that:

90q9mw.jpg

2zej9ud.jpg

28gxaa1.jpg

Even the pedals came up nicely! Good stuff that meguiars quik interior detailer

vfdxua.jpg

You mightn't notice the difference in the pics, but its much nicer inside now. Nothing is dirty, oily or dusty anymore and the smell is great :) Nothing worse than being inside a car that smells like a dog has laid a fresh turd in it!

I bought 2 polishing pads today for my buffer, so ill be getting onto the paint tomorrow getting rid of all the swirls and light scratches and giving it a good hit with my leftover nxt 2.0 wax to help protect the clear thats left

Cheers guys

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
good work mate, that quik interior detailer and 303 are my go to products for cleaning the interior :)

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
One thing that has been bothering me since i got this car has been the slap happy detail job that the dealership did in order to get it looking nice for inspection on the car lot.
For some reason nearly all car dealerships like to use this horrible oil sh*t that goes everywhere, attracts major dust, leaves everything greasy and is left in puddles throughout the interior plastics. Dont even get me started on the stench of the stuff....

So, today i got into it and cleaned everything thoroughly using detergent+ water mixed in a bucket to strip the oil off everything, then followed it up by spraying some meguiars quick interior detailer all over the plastics, rubbers and vinyl.
This was the result of all that:

2duy0k9.jpg

After everything was vacuumed and cleaned properly i then used some kitten car shampoo to clean off the seats and rid it of all the ass sweat it had deep down under the fibres. Once this was done i got onto the door cards and dressed all rubbers, vinyl and plastic with 303 aerospace protectant
This is how it looks now after all that:

90q9mw.jpg

2zej9ud.jpg

28gxaa1.jpg

Even the pedals came up nicely! Good stuff that meguiars quik interior detailer

vfdxua.jpg

You mightn't notice the difference in the pics, but its much nicer inside now. Nothing is dirty, oily or dusty anymore and the smell is great :) Nothing worse than being inside a car that smells like a dog has laid a fresh turd in it!

I bought 2 polishing pads today for my buffer, so ill be getting onto the paint tomorrow getting rid of all the swirls and light scratches and giving it a good hit with my leftover nxt 2.0 wax to help protect the clear thats left

Cheers guys

Had to do the exact same thing when I got mine. Absolutely dreadful stuff they use and they really layer it on too!! I'd prefer to just buy an honest looking car and detail it myself to be honest. Better than having to remove all the slick (they even used it in the engine bay)

Looks good though and at least once you've got it cleaned to your standards its pretty easy to keep it that way :thumbup:

Edit: Also, I don't mean to alarm you but you seem to be missing a pedal hahaha. Great looking car man, love the VY SS (not that you'd expect me to say otherwise haha) look after it mate and try not to destroy that auto box :cool: