Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternater wiring help

308commodore

308 commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
308 VK CALAIS
hey guy's. :wave: i've just bought my first speedway car:driving: . it's not a commodore :supersad: but it's still a holden:thumbsup: . it's an lj torana. i am pretty clued on when it comes to wiring but something has got me stumped. my mate took all the wiring out before i got to mark where the wires went. how do i hook up the alternater wiring. i have wired up the outside main power cut off switch, ignition switch, push button start,tacho and all the corresponding lights thst go with the gauges, the alternater has a built in resister. i used to flick the the ignition switch and a seperate light would come on and when i started the car the light would go out. i,ve tried to provide as much information and possable so if theres any auto sparkies out there who could tell me or draw me a diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

GO THE ALLMIGHTY HOLDEN 308 ( IF THE BLOODY THING WILL RUN ):driving:

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
The large screw terminal is obviously the charge wire to the battery.

I assume you mean it has a built in regulator.
I'm assuming there's 2 other terminals - one adjacent the other in a small plastic connector.

One will be marked L for lamp. This provides the earth for your dash light before you start the engine. The other side of the dash light goes to +12v ign.

The other terminal will be marked S for sense. It is sensing the voltage level of the system when the engine is running ie. do I provide more or less charge.
Manufacturers wire this direct to the battery - When I make a loom, I prefer to wire it to ignition power so that it is turned off when the engine is off.

Last edited: