Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives to an iPod?? Suggestions please!!

Best alternative to iPod

• iRiver

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Creative Zen

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Microsoft Zune

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Sony walkman

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
And this is coming from I'm assuming a generation where tapes were used or even worse?

Umm, are you saying i'm old and that i'm blind to todays so called technology advancements? If that's the case, no, i'm 24.

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Please don't turn this thread into an argument guys! It is just meant to find out the alternatives out there to iPods that are good....that is all!

A poll has been added now!!

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Umm, are you saying i'm old and that i'm blind to todays so called technology advancements? If that's the case, no, i'm 24.

Ok well being 24 then you should not have to ask why a CD is not sufficient enough. People like to have variety, and people also like to have ALL of their music with them and not have to carry around a CD wallet.

I may rant on like an old fart sometimes, but i just don't understand the need to store 10,000+ or how ever many songs it is you have, on a single device.

Well you said it yourself... seems like you were the one saying that about yourself, not me.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Zen's look great on paper, but I've had a lot of build quaility issues with them - owned 4, won't buy another in the near future

My current favourite player is a little Sony E-series - similar sort of scale to a Nano, but without the goddamn clickwheel, and it'll play WMA for those times when I can't be bothered reripping a CD. Battery lasts forever, too, which is cool.

My reasons for avoiding the iPod are pretty simple: I dislike iTunes intensely (I use MediaMonkey for management and Foobar2000 for playback), I require support for WMA (and support for FLAC is a nice touch too), and I can't stand the clickwheel interface. That said, the iPod Touch is a brilliant movie player - I wouldn't look any further if I needed such a thing, but I don't, my laptop does that job fine. As a music player, I find its lack of physical controls an issue.

The sound quality advantage of the dock connector is largely nullified by the rubbish implementation of the DAC - most Cowon players (I can specifically vouch for the D2+) sound better once you've turned off the sound "enhancement" features. The interface of the D2+ is clumsy, though - I hear the S9 is better.

Check out anythingbutipod.com for some fairly thorough coverage.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Why would my age have any effect on my ability to hear audible flaws witihin a recording?

That has nothing to do with the thread mate.

Your comment was i don't see the need to carry 10,000 songs. Well, alot of people DO see the need to. Just because YOU don't understand something, doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason for it ;)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I find my mobile phone has a perfectly good output when using the 3.5mm adaptor provided.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
That has nothing to do with the thread mate.

Your comment was i don't see the need to carry 10,000 songs. Well, alot of people DO see the need to. Just because YOU don't understand something, doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason for it ;)

Thanks stealthy

Why would my age have any effect on my ability to hear audible flaws witihin a recording?

And just to clear things up for everyone else reading these threads, yes you would lose quality converting to an MP3 this is indeed a fact, however even through a high-end system this quality drop is unnoticeable.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I am a huge fan of the iriver H3xx and H1xx series. However, these are such awesome DAPs that very few pop up for sale.

Creatives are good, if a little generic.

Sony would be my pick of the bunch at the moment. As long as you aren't looking at >16GB, then the Sonys are good. >16GB it's either iPod or some DAPs from overseas. Cowons get very good reviews.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Thanks stealthy

And just to clear things up for everyone else reading these threads, yes you would lose quality converting to an MP3 this is indeed a fact, however even through a high-end system this quality drop is unnoticeable.

Thanks stealthy

I disagree that the quality drop is unnoticeable even at encoding bitrates of 320kb/s. It may be unnoticeable to you H0LD3N but your really being unclear, you say its a fact you lose quality but its not noticeable as in you wouldnt hear the loss. So if you cant hear the loss in quality how do you know it does lose quality????

Ill agree that the difference in a 320kb/s encoded mp3 track to the same identical original cd track is slight to most people but is very noticeable to me personally in the highest quality systems.

All your clearing up for the people reading theses threads is only just your opinion and not indeed fact.