Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives to an iPod?? Suggestions please!!

Best alternative to iPod

• iRiver

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Creative Zen

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Microsoft Zune

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Sony walkman

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Hi guys!!

I am anti iPod (please don't turn this thread into a forum to abuse me because of that :boxing:) and I want to get an MP3 player to hook up to the AUX port on the front of my upcomming VE sportwagon. It is a work car so obviously changing the head unit is NOT an option!

What I am looking for is an MP3 player that puts out a good quality sound :rockon:. Yes I know iPod's put out a good sound, but I will not buy one (long story :blah blah:) Anyhoo....

Anyone out there in JC land own or use an MP3 player that you think would suit?

EDIT: I have added a poll based on the 4 suggestions offered! Feel free to vote for your favourite! Hopefully this helps anyone else wondering the same thing as me!

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
iRiver seem to make some half decent MP3 players.
Personally, i've tried iRivers, sony, mini disks, cheap chinese crap.. almost everything except an iPod becauase i too used to hate them. But everything else is complete rubbish imo.

But anywho, i thought iRiver made some half decent MP3 players..

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'm interested in your anti ipod reasons. Don't want to start a shitstorm over it, but would like to know why. I use one because its the easiest to navigate, and i hate change.

jesse'sVT5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 1
The Sony Walkmans are pretty good.

WALKMAN MP3 : Portable Audio : Sony Australia

I bought one for my wife a few years ago because she did not like the iPod Nano I got her. Anyway, I ended up using it more than her, I like it.

It's really all about Dollars and Sense... The Sense part being how it sounds to you!

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
comparing anything to an ipod wont come close for usability etc.

but the sound that comes out all depends on the audio that you load onto your mp3 player.

i too thought ipod's were crap and i could get better. i bought a creative 20gb mp3 player. it was alright. as in it wasnt too hard to use etc. but it doesnt come close to the way apple have engineered the touch wheel and the software that goes on them etc.

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
Iriver or the Creative Zen, only problem is if your after mass storage, ipod is the go. But Ipods out so next on my list would be the Zen :)

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vp Commodore series 2
microsoft Zune :) hate apple so much why not give your money to the other side, Can get them off ebay from us they are a pritty good mp3 player

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
I'm interested in your anti ipod reasons. Don't want to start a shitstorm over it, but would like to know why. I use one because its the easiest to navigate, and i hate change.

I have had 3 previously over time, all s**t themselves and had to be replaced in warranty (taking 4-6 weeks each time) and then the replacement ones died just after warranty. Each time was a different software issue. I have had a few friends with the same issues so I gave up long ago! Now because of that, I am extremely reluctant to go back down that road.... i know that they have potentially improved the reliability of them since then but it has been enough to scare me off them!!

Thanks for replying guys! I will start looking into the iRiver / Zen / Zune ones and see what suits me!! Appreciate the help!:beer chug:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I have had 3 previously over time, all s**t themselves and had to be replaced in warranty (taking 4-6 weeks each time) and then the replacement ones died just after warranty. Each time was a different software issue. I have had a few friends with the same issues so I gave up long ago! Now because of that, I am extremely reluctant to go back down that road.... i know that they have potentially improved the reliability of them since then but it has been enough to scare me off them!!

Thanks for replying guys! I will start looking into the iRiver / Zen / Zune ones and see what suits me!! Appreciate the help!:beer chug:

Fair enough. I'd probably be the same if a company had been so dodgy, but i have a new gen now, and its been fine. Only other one i had was a 2nd hand one, worked fine til i smashed the screen. Mine is about 12 months old now, no issues.