Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives to an iPod?? Suggestions please!!

Best alternative to iPod

• iRiver

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Creative Zen

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Microsoft Zune

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Sony walkman

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
geez ive never had any issues with my ipod, i still have and use my 30 gig ipod video which is like 4 years old or something. and i also just recently bought an ipod touch which is great for videos, games and stuff. i can understand if you have had troubles in the past with ipods so you wouldnt want another one but i still rekon they are the best mp3 players around, i am yet to see another portable mp3 player which is 160gig which is pretty impresive really.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I too am interested in your anti Ipod reasons? If your at all serious about your SQ, then you will still clear of any form of MP3 all together. If you know what happens to a music file once you convert it to MP3 format, regrdless of whether you run a lossless program or not, then the type of device you use to transmitt that signal, Ipod/Iriver/Sony ect, dosen't really matter...

I may rant on like an old fart sometimes, but i just don't understand the need to store 10,000+ or how ever many songs it is you have, on a single device.Your generally only in your car for a short period of time, so your average CD containing 10-15 songs, should be more than enough, if not, then take a CD wallet of some sort with you..

All i can say in favour if the Ipod VS others, is that you can actually buy pre-made cables that will connect your Ipod from it's docking point, into your auxilarry point, rather than going with your typical 3.5mm input, which sacrfices some of your quality yet again

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I too am interested in your anti Ipod reasons? If your at all serious about your SQ, then you will still clear of any form of MP3 all together. If you know what happens to a music file once you convert it to MP3 format, regrdless of whether you run a lossless program or not, then the type of device you use to transmitt that signal, Ipod/Iriver/Sony ect, dosen't really matter...

I may rant on like an old fart sometimes, but i just don't understand the need to store 10,000+ or how ever many songs it is you have, on a single device.Your generally only in your car for a short period of time, so your average CD containing 10-15 songs, should be more than enough, if not, then take a CD wallet of some sort with you..

He explained above his reasons. And yes, you are ranting, i have 1500 songs, because sometimes i want to listen to one genre, other times i want to listen to another, and there all right there if i change my mind :)

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I too have been screwed around with apple (ipods breaking and refusal of warranty honouring), so i tried sony. Not as easy to navigate - like everyone else has mentioned - but the sound quality is pretty damn good. I refuse to give my money to those bastards again.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Really? 4-6 Weeks to get your replacement iPod, We Get a replacement in 24 hours. And compared to the amount of iPods we use to get through with 4th gen iPod photos and minis., the New ones are so much more reliable as they use flash memory, Except the iPod video that has a small hard drive, and every drop or bang will damage the drive. Have fun getting warranty anywhere when you need to repair your sony or iriver. I have had a iPod video for 6 Years now and still working perfectly, I had to replace the battery though cause leaving it in a hot car the battery expanded lol. LOL, Zunes are only in USA, I dont like the poo brown one lol

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005

All i can say in favour if the Ipod VS others, is that you can actually buy pre-made cables that will connect your Ipod from it's docking point, into your auxilarry point, rather than going with your typical 3.5mm input, which sacrfices some of your quality yet again

so explain how the audio from the ipod dock connector is better quality than the 3.5mm.

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
I use my HTC Magic when the musics:rockon: and a phone call comes in
it switches the call through to the speakers then back to music when the call is over
hands free :w00t:

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I have had 3 previously over time, all s**t themselves and had to be replaced in warranty (taking 4-6 weeks each time) and then the replacement ones died just after warranty. Each time was a different software issue. I have had a few friends with the same issues so I gave up long ago! Now because of that, I am extremely reluctant to go back down that road.... i know that they have potentially improved the reliability of them since then but it has been enough to scare me off them!!

Thanks for replying guys! I will start looking into the iRiver / Zen / Zune ones and see what suits me!! Appreciate the help!:beer chug:

Sounds hard to believe, did you throw it around or something? I've never had an issue with mine and it sounds hard to believe that people do have issues with them unless it's due to lack of care.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina

And this is coming from I'm assuming a generation where tapes were used or even worse?