Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives to an iPod?? Suggestions please!!

Best alternative to iPod

• iRiver

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Creative Zen

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Microsoft Zune

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Sony walkman

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
So if you cant hear the loss in quality how do you know it does lose quality????

I have recorded music in a recording studio, so I think I know a little bit about sound quality. Just to clear things up for everyone :rofl2:

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Well we all have different ears and opinions and theories. But suffice to say the technology is all about smaller and better.

Oh yes ive pressed the record button to in a studio once!!!!!!!!!!!!

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Well we all have different ears and opinions and theories. But suffice to say the technology is all about smaller and better.

Oh yes ive pressed the record button to in a studio once!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok well adding to my previous comment, MP3 quality is the least of your worries, you're never going to get great sound in a car simply due to the lack of acoustics. It's simple and it's to do with the way sound travels. The speakers aren't mounted in a way that would produce ideal acoustics and well the car isn't shaped in a way to provide ideal acoustics. So when you start arguing about the quality of an MP3, it's kinda ridiculous because if you were going for quality, you'll never really reach it.

So yea Luke, you might like to look smart by saying you've pressed a record button in a studio once, but whilst installing a stereo in a car might be your forte, it doesn't make you an expert on sound as much as you'd like to think.

However I do agree with you in saying that it is about the technology being smaller and better. I just hate it when people argue about sound quality in a car when really they have no idea about the theory in sound.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Why can't you achieve sound quality in a car? Just because your midbass drivers are generally off axis to you when listening, dosen't mean you can't build something that sounds good. Speaker placement, while crucial, is just one small factor when dealing with an install.It dosen't matter what type of enviroment your dealing with , whether it be a car, home, boat ect, there are always going to be issues with the room accoustics.But if you can change something, even something small,(such as the source input) and get an imrpovement, then it all helps.

Anyway's OP, have you made a decision on which type of player your going to buy?

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Why can't you achieve sound quality in a car? Just because your midbass drivers are generally off axis to you when listening, dosen't mean you can't build something that sounds good. Speaker placement, while crucial, is just one small factor when dealing with an install.It dosen't matter what type of enviroment your dealing with , whether it be a car, home, boat ect, there are always going to be issues with the room accoustics.But if you can change something, even something small,(such as the source input) and get an imrpovement, then it all helps.

Anyway's OP, have you made a decision on which type of player your going to buy?

Yeah I have mate, I am going with an iRiver!! I just zoned out from the arguing haha! Thanks to everyone who contributed!

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
You're going with a new iRiver? Brave move. Can't say I've liked any of them since the H320, and that was years ago. Was great though, it had a SPDIF out so you could use it with an external DAC.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I use my HTC Magic when the musics:rockon: and a phone call comes in
it switches the call through to the speakers then back to music when the call is over
hands free :w00t:

I was about to say, I use my N95 exactly the same way, 8 GB music, phone calls come in over the stereo (mutes the music) and GPS, works pretty well for me.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
walkman.gif

BRING BACK THE MIX TAPE MOTHER****ERS!!!!!!

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
walkman.gif

BRING BACK THE MIX TAPE MOTHER****ERS!!!!!!

It is so funny you should say that, I found a walkman the other day while I was cleaning up, and my 6 year old said , whats that dad, I was like damn, I am getting old :hmmm:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Bah, discman ftw!! i just bought one of these, to go with these, now all i need is a portable headphone amp!!:smoking:

Attachments

• 3712.jpeg
    3712.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 130
  • akg_k_272_hd-400-400.jpg
    akg_k_272_hd-400-400.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 130