Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives to the ZB

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
If we assume that Holden is abandoning the V8 market as it appears they are and if we assume their 'Commodore' is now focused only on the mid-large value and luxury sedan market - what are the alternative/competing cars?

Whats the alternative for the person who wants a good value bang for buck sedan? Whats the alternative for the person who wants a luxury/saloon sedan? How do their price points compare to the ZB for each alternative? It is just a Mazda and a Toyota? Or is there more?

I'll be in the market to replace my current V6 commodore in the next year so I wanted to hear your guys thoughts.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Mazda, Toyota and Subaru Liberty?
Price wise, there was a thread earlier on in the year that by memory showed the ZB was expensive compared to it's competitors.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
V60 Polestar :):):)

Taucross

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RT
Skoda? New Mazda. Liberty or Levorg? Camry in the V6. Volvo if you can handle all the buttons. Stinger :)

None of these have an engine like the ZB for the money. Camry SX comes closest in my book but i thought the tech on the ZB was better. New Mazda 6 and the rest are significantly more expensive for the same or worse performance. Liberty is cvt i think .......

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Price wise, there was a thread earlier on in the year that by memory showed the ZB was expensive compared to it's competitors.

Is this from the value perspective or luxury perspective?

V60 Polestar :):):)

I really like the look of the Polestars - I've never considered a Volvo but maybe I should

Skoda? New Mazda. Liberty or Levorg? Camry in the V6. Volvo if you can handle all the buttons. Stinger :)

None of these have an engine like the ZB for the money. Camry SX comes closest in my book but i thought the tech on the ZB was better. New Mazda 6 and the rest are significantly more expensive for the same or worse performance. Liberty is cvt i think .......

Sounds like some disagreement on price - others say more expensive, some less. Im interested in the luxury side, I've always thought the Calais was a pretty good price for its features and performance - I've never been aware of competitors at the same price point

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Well, here's the listed pricing for some family sized cars. Not all sedans but something to compare with anyway.

Top spec Camry V6 224kw - $49k drive away
Top spec Mazda 3 - $40k drive away
Top spec Mazda 6 2.5L turbo - $53k drive away
Top spec Mazda CX5 - $52k drive away
Top spec Subaru Liberty V6 - $48k drive away

ZB VXR - $60,895 drive away
ZB Calais V - $56,695 drive away

VXR is way over priced in my opinion.
The Calais V for about 52 or a bit less would be a good buy I reckon.

*These prices are from dealer websites

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Just had a look on Carsales and Calais V's in stock with a few Ks on them are already listed for 52/53k with some dealers.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just had a look on Carsales and Calais V's in stock with a few Ks on them are already listed for 52/53k with some dealers.
Maybe this will be like the Adventra, which was released at too high a price, then had a cashback to previous buyers when the price dropped. They never really sold well (despite me buying an LX8 and loving it for 7 ).
Well, here's the listed pricing for some family sized cars. Not all sedans but something to compare with anyway.

Top spec Camry V6 224kw - $49k drive away
Top spec Mazda 3 - $40k drive away
Top spec Mazda 6 2.5L turbo - $53k drive away
Top spec Mazda CX5 - $52k drive away
Top spec Subaru Liberty V6 - $48k drive away

ZB VXR - $60,895 drive away
ZB Calais V - $56,695 drive away

VXR is way over priced in my opinion.
The Calais V for about 52 or a bit less would be a good buy I reckon.

*These prices are from dealer websites
Maybe this will be like the Adventra, which was initially released in 2003 at too high a price, then Holden gave a cashback to previous buyers when the price dropped. Unfortunately, they never really sold well (despite me buying an LX8 and loving it for 7 years).

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Maybe this will be like the Adventra, which was initially released in 2003 at too high a price, then Holden gave a cashback to previous buyers when the price dropped. Unfortunately, they never really sold well (despite me buying an LX8 and loving it for 7 years).
The other issue with the Adventra when it was released was no V6 option straight away.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the fact that Ford went to the trouble of developing a "proper" SUV type vehicle, which was really what punters wanted, rather than a full-on off roader as the Adventure was, also put paid to it. Territory was Car of the Year in 2004, the Adventra was nowhere. Like them or loathe them, that was when the SUV craze really started to take off and it's still growing. I think the Adventra was just the wrong car for its time.