Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Bolt Snapped.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive SII - 91' - VX Executive SII - 02'
So after my VN took some heavy damage to the suspension when a Tierod End slipped out it was shelfed and left to rot. Recently started doing it back up to get it back to Roadworthy standards as I'd much prefer to drive it than my VX. So after sitting there for an odd 5 Months the Alternator has stopped working, so not an issue went out and got one to replace it with. Only to find that the Bolt behind the pully was non existent to an extent. I have no idea how I'm going to get it out as my tools are limited and it's unregistered so it'd be a bit hard to get it to a mechanics.
Here are some Pictures.
From the Top
imag0034zx.jpg

Front on.
imag0035hq.jpg

The washer was just sitting on the end so I'd assume it was recent as it wasn't stuck or anything, have started the Car 4-5 times to move it around so I could Mow in this time.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
unbolt the idler pulley, remove the belt, and use a thread extractor out to remove the busted bolt. Replace the bolt, pulley and belt. Job done.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
take off the belt, undo the big bolt on the right of the alternator, undo the charge wire and plug.
Should be able to lift the alternator up from the right and forward off the brocken bolt.
Get some vice grips onto the bit stickimg out and you should be able to undo it.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
take off the belt, undo the big bolt on the right of the alternator, undo the charge wire and plug.
Should be able to lift the alternator up from the right and forward off the brocken bolt.
Get some vice grips onto the bit stickimg out and you should be able to undo it.

Do this. You might need to remove idler pulley to slide alternator forward and remove. Then you'll have heaps of exposed bolt. Then use vice grips or file it flat on two sides (by hand or angle grinder) and use a big shifter to unscrew it.

There are products like 'easy out screw thing' and alike where you drill a hole in the centre of the bolt and insert another screw with a reverse thread into it to hopefully unscrew the whole lot. Shouldn't need that here if you can get alternator off though.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i concur, all the above...

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
undo the charge wire and plug.
Disconnect the battery first, preferably just the ground wire. You really don't want to short the charge wire to ground. :cry:

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Get yourself one of these stud removers!!!!!!!!!!!:smoking:

Attachments

• stud remover.jpg
    stud remover.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 210

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Disconnect the battery first, preferably just the ground wire. You really don't want to short the charge wire to ground. :cry:

true true.... was assuming the battery would already be disconnected and only meant to undo the wires from the alt so it could be moved easily.
as they say assumption is the mother of all...........