Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternator high pitch noise

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
hey guys, just a quick query, i noticed today that my alternator would made a high pitch whine/noise(kind of like that mosquito ringtone that only over 22 yr olds can hear:p), but it would only happen with the key tuened to On, with out the keys in i couldnt hear anything, and with the engine running i dont think i could hear anything either, but ill clarify that one tomorrow...
just wondering if its of any concern or anything?

thankz
Nick

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Check the Belt.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
When i turn my key to on , i hear the fuel pump go then i can hear the sound u talking about in my engine bay,i always thought it was the fuel getting pressurised on the rails or iacv opening or something, dnt think the alt makes noise unless its spinning.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
yea you could b right, i just thought it sounded like it was comming from the alternator bcause thats where it 'sounded' the loudest... so ur right it could b the fuel bein pressurised or the iac valve

Nick

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
It is from the alternator....

Turn ur ignition to on & disconnect the plug at the top of the alternator.. the high pitched whine should dissapear, It means your alternator is dieing pretty much.

Cheers
MaT