Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Issues

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Running a VX Ecotec 140Ks no issues, then this arvo I went to leave an appointment and head home and after I started the car, I noticed that the battery light was on. I stopped the engine then and pondered, then thought the ONLY simple fix would be a busted snake belt...so I lifted the bonnet to check and it was OK. Restarted the car, light flickered on then went off and I began m y homebound journey.

Then the battery light came back on, as well as the ABS light...was still driving then noticed that the fuel gauge and temp gauges were at zero, as was the tacho...hmm what is going on here? I wasn't too far away from an Auto Electrician I'd used in the past, so drove to his shop.

Described the circumstances, then he hooked up the testing rig, started the engine, and then said in a dire sounding voice "Oh no! That is so bad!"

I queried the comment and he said "Well if your alternator was undercharging it means the battery will become discharged and the dash light will show. BUT YOURS IS OVERCHARGING! That's really bad. It can cause dash light issues like you said, but because it's charging at a tick over 17 volts...it could burn out the BCM, could cause all sorts of problems. You need to get it fixed, quick as you can, and I recommend you don't drive it at all till you get it fixed".

Asked for a quick quote the answer was "$375 plus about half an hour's labour, so around $430" I queried if my alternator could be repaired and the answer was "No"

So here I am hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me, can verify that the problem with my alternator cannot be fixed [what, replacement diodes or some such thing not a valid repair these days?] or recommendations for a replacement part at a reasonable cost

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just unplug the two pin connector from your alternator and it will stop charging
most likely needs the regulator replaced which is under $100

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I Second that !

Regulator brushes a worn.
Under $100 some autoelec
Under $50 on ebay
Under $10 to replace the brushes

However, just check the sound of the bearings, if they are a bit noisy,
It maybe even worth getting a S/H from a wrecker for approx. $50.

I had 2 old regulators that just needed brushes,
Replaced the brushes on both for the cost of $12,
then placed them on the shelf as spares.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Running a VX Ecotec 140Ks no issues, then this arvo I went to leave an appointment and head home and after I started the car, I noticed that the battery light was on. I stopped the engine then and pondered, then thought the ONLY simple fix would be a busted snake belt...so I lifted the bonnet to check and it was OK. Restarted the car, light flickered on then went off and I began m y homebound journey.

Then the battery light came back on, as well as the ABS light...was still driving then noticed that the fuel gauge and temp gauges were at zero, as was the tacho...hmm what is going on here? I wasn't too far away from an Auto Electrician I'd used in the past, so drove to his shop.

Described the circumstances, then he hooked up the testing rig, started the engine, and then said in a dire sounding voice "Oh no! That is so bad!"

I queried the comment and he said "Well if your alternator was undercharging it means the battery will become discharged and the dash light will show. BUT YOURS IS OVERCHARGING! That's really bad. It can cause dash light issues like you said, but because it's charging at a tick over 17 volts...it could burn out the BCM, could cause all sorts of problems. You need to get it fixed, quick as you can, and I recommend you don't drive it at all till you get it fixed".

Asked for a quick quote the answer was "$375 plus about half an hour's labour, so around $430" I queried if my alternator could be repaired and the answer was "No"

So here I am hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me, can verify that the problem with my alternator cannot be fixed [what, replacement diodes or some such thing not a valid repair these days?] or recommendations for a replacement part at a reasonable cost

Where was that quote sourced from ?

No it cant be repaired there and then !
But
Yes it can be repaired when he wants to do it in his own time,
and then charge the next sucker $375 for a $50 part [Regulator] + Labour.
I helped a JC's member out a little while ago with replacing the regular for him,
He was happy for the assistance, and I just charged him for the cost of the Regulator
[which was a new one I had purchased from eBay for $50]

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Depends on the Alternator some don't have the regulator on the back, they have a rectifier inside at the back and regulate internally, if he says you need a new alternator then I say yours wont have that option, just go to a wreakers and get a second hand one for 40 and swap it over.

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
ThanX to all!! I haven't even bothered taking the ecotec cover off yet, cannot remember what the alternator looked like when I changed the belt pulleys last year, so I do not know if it had the replaceable rectifier {thought they were on the early Bosch units] was asking to determine whether it likely I could source a diode pack or regulator...

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Where was that quote sourced from ?

No it cant be repaired there and then !
But
Yes it can be repaired when he wants to do it in his own time,
and then charge the next sucker $375 for a $50 part [Regulator] + Labour.
I helped a JC's member out a little while ago with replacing the regular for him,
He was happy for the assistance, and I just charged him for the cost of the Regulator
[which was a new one I had purchased from eBay for $50]

Quoted source was a local Auto-leccy, he claimed he'd just ordered a new alternator earlier that day, and it was gonna cost $375, then added that with about half an hour's labour the bill would be around $430. Did some browsing on fleabay, even brand new Bosch units were only $285 and the Chinkese knock offs were from $139.95...seemed fair value...but I figured whilst I ponder the costly replacement...I picked up a used item for $30. 1 Month warranty and it is going like a champ...all the issues that were apparent have disappeared, and output of the used alternator is about 14.4 - 14.6 volts...so - all I have to do now is check out if the original can be fixed with some parts...haven't even looked at it yet!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Quoted source was a local Auto-leccy, he claimed he'd just ordered a new alternator earlier that day, and it was gonna cost $375, then added that with about half an hour's labour the bill would be around $430. Did some browsing on fleabay, even brand new Bosch units were only $285 and the Chinkese knock offs were from $139.95...seemed fair value...but I figured whilst I ponder the costly replacement...I picked up a used item for $30. 1 Month warranty and it is going like a champ...all the issues that were apparent have disappeared, and output of the used alternator is about 14.4 - 14.6 volts...so - all I have to do now is check out if the original can be fixed with some parts...haven't even looked at it yet!
Yip nothing wong with second hand, mine going on 3 years it outlasted Chinese knockoff by 2.5 years. oh 30 good I paid 40.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most RE72 alternators just need a regulator, as they are very reliable,
But if you do a regulator, and most likely require bearings,
But to replace the bearings, it’s best to use a press,
I did the regulator and bearings and it cost approx $60 total, so I am guessing the original alternator will last another 18 years.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
touch wood 350,000km on original and still going strong