Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Removal on LS1 VX Commodore Advise wanted

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me. I have a VX Commdore with an LS1 that has a failing alternation. The Front bearing seems to have crapped itself and temporarily shorted out the internals. After a high pressure hose, the alternation surprisingly is working again, but sounds really rough.
So I have come to swapping the alternator over. The service manual makes the process sound really easy. One problem through. The top securing bolt located just below the power steering pulley is too long and hits the back of the thermofan motor. This is preventing me from removing the alternator. The thermofan can not be easily removed with all the radiator hoses in place. surely there have to be an easier way. The Service manual says nothing about removing the fan or radiator. Has anyone done this before and have any tips they can share?
Regards,
John

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I didnt do it

Cost me $123 to have my supplied genuine changed

Its a pain to do and gave it freely to a professional to do

From my understanding, ring ratchets needed, radiator shroud removed, so means top hose to be removed and twisted upwards

Air box and piping to be removed
Some even remove radiator
Need a heavy hammer also to knock back in place.

Plenty of guides to do online, search google and comes up with plenty.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Thanks for the info uniacidz. It is really a big pain in the backside to change.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks for the info uniacidz. It is really a big pain in the backside to change.

Was it?

How fiddly and how long to change?

Any tricks or tools used?