Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Voltage Reading

F

fattypomba

I have just read your post and yes it should be around 14 volts. On the older cars one way of testing to see if the alternater is stuff is start the car and then take one of the battery leads off. if the car stalls then the alternater is stuffed. The battery is only there to start the car once the car is running it makes its own power.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
])R@G()N;1788212 said:
Ok I couldn't wait so I when and put the New Alternator on.

New readings
@ Idle 14.5volts
Under load A\C flat out and High Beam on drops to 12.5v on Idle after a few mins,

Hopefully this is the end of this problem :D

I also found out what was going on with the voltage display on the cluster :embarrass
I was holding the "DOWN" button and the "MODE" button instead of the "UP" botton "MODE" button :doh:

ThanX All for the help :beer chug:

Rep points for you all :thumbsup:

With all accessories on u should still b around the 13V+ mark so mayb try upgrading ur grounding points in the engine bay this will help but sounds like ur nearly there.

Even new regs from the box can fail so it does somtimes pay 2 change them a couple times with other new 1ns on which who eva u got it from shouldnt have a problem swapping over their own brand new items.