Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator warning in dashboard+ fuel too lean

Akaanup

Reaction score
Members Ride
OMEGA VE
Hi all.

Recently (13/11/2018)bought a second-hand car from a registered dealer with around 147XXX. Did check with a mechanic and everything seem ok. But after a few days ( 25/11/2018) system error message started popping at the dashboard with system light on.

Contacted the dealer and left the car for repair. The next day dealer rings me tells me that the light on the dashboard is gone itself and everything seems fine. Took the car back from the dealer but last week(24/12/2018) it popped up again with additional check alternator sign in the dashboard ( battery sign light in the dashboard). When I was driving the power was low and the car went into power saving mode disabling most of the features in the car with airbag, ABS and other lights on.

Contacted the dealer and because of festive session mechanic is on holiday and asked to wait for a few days. Took the car yesterday( 29/12/2018) to have a quick look and when checking with OBD reader dealer stated that it was a battery problem and asked to change the battery. After changing a new battery car started ok with no errors in the dashboard and when he checked the alternator seem to be working fine.

When asked about engine light he said "there is an error code which says fuel is too lean(I was using supreme 98) so this could cause the engine light to popup " and asked me to use different fuel something like 91 or 95 (haven't heard that better fuel is sometimes bad for car before). Took the advice and took the car for the drive and went to work.

Same night when coming back from the work same error popped with check alternator on the dashboard and car went into power saving mode. parked the car in street and left the car in the middle of the night took uber and came home. Messaged the dealer and he told me that mechanic will be back at monday after the New Year.

So what should I do now as I have paid to change the battery, and now seems like its the alternator fault? Engine light is back on and looks like the dealer did only clear the codes thru OBD reader.

Wait for the mechanic?

Bought the car about 2 months back with about 147xxx kms on the reader and still under 4000kms after the purchase. Do I have any consumer rights as warranty? All in all, what should I do now?

Edit: its a 2008 Holden Commodore Omega. in Sydney, NSW.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
pretty sure you will have 3 month warranty from car yard (in vic)
and they should have paid for battery

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
I had a dealer use that one on me once, was using 95 at the time and came up with lean fuel code and he goes " and there's your problem son you using the wrong fuel" I changed the purge valve problem fixed.
This seems to be the problem with dealers you buy a car and while under warranty they just clear codes!
Bloody frustrating.

Akaanup

Reaction score
Members Ride
OMEGA VE
pretty sure you will have 3 month warranty from car yard (in vic)
and they should have paid for battery
I am from NSW and my car is older than 10yrs so no warranty as per ACL condition