Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Whine VR 5L

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys.

Over the past month I have been trying to figure out why I am getting Alternator whine through my amps and was wondering if the guru's may be able to help me.

The Setup (All brand new gear, not the best I know but better than factory and it was the best I could get at staff price)
* JVC KD-X50BT Headunit
* 2x Sony Splits in the front (Amped)
* 2x Sony 4-Ways in the rear (HU)
* 1x JBL Mono Block (Sub)
* 1x JVC 2 Channel (Speakers)

Amps power are running down drivers side and RCA's are down passenger side so they shouldn't be getting any interference.

Amps are grounded to the center seatbelt bolts under the back seat (this seems to be where most ground them)

Changed ignition coil from the old style oil filled type to a bosch MEC718 as I heard the old oil filled coils can give off interference.

Running out of ideas

Here is a video of the engine running with some revs (the whine is a loud louder than the video makes it out to be)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
do you have any spare cable?

try running an earth outside the car to the battery; see if that helps. if not try running an earth outside the car to the block; see if that helps

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
do you have any spare cable?

try running an earth outside the car to the battery; see if that helps. if not try running an earth outside the car to the block; see if that helps

Thanks mate,

Don't have any spare cable, might have to buy some more cable to do a run all the way from the boot to the engine bay

Going to try running a new earth from the battery to the body as some have recommended to me the factory earth isn't great.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
What size cable are you running and which brand of RCA's are you using?
I would re ground the ground cable and if possible use bigger cable for it.

How close do the RCA'S get to the power cables at the amp end? Ie: are the cables run closely due to amp location and "niceness" of the install?

Also, gold plated terminals for power cables?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Side note: can you put your tweeters under the grill on the dash? Bugs me seeing them there, looks messy and unfinished.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
While he does that, can you do something about the badge on the front of your car?... hehe jk

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
All cables are 4 Gauge.

The closest the RCA's are to the power is the opposite ends of the amp

Still running standard teminals

Yes, tweeters will go under the dash asap, I don't like the look either

also going to try tek screwinf earth to the floor/body as some are claiming seatbelt bolts aren't the best earths

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have reearthed the amps, still didn't fix the problem.

It seems to be the RCA/Headunit, when I disconnnect the RCA's the problem stops (I also tried whacking my old Ground loop isolater on and that stopped the whine, but being a poor quality isolator made the vocals almost dissapear so I can't use it)

I am assuming it would be Headunit earth?......the new headunit is still using the factory earth in the loom

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Nope, I use the HU earth all the time. No sweateroonies....
Not sure if you said so or not, but I'm going to presume there is no engine noise in the HU amped speakers. Only the JVC? If you remove the LPF filter on the monoblock, does it have the whine also? If you swap RCAs between amps, does the noise follow?
Does a mate have a big capacitor you can try installing? that often eliminates noise (doesn't solve the problem but does get rid of noise)
When you redid the earth, did you make sure you removed plenty of paint from the chassis of the car?
You can also try running a wire from the chassis of the cd player to the chassis of the amplifiers and see if that helps?