Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Whine

C

cycom563

I had an amp and speakers "professionally" installed and still get alternator noise. It looks as though they've run the power cable down the right hand side, but have cable tied it to the left over RCA leads under my back seat near the boot. Could this still be causing the noise, or is it something I'm stuck with? Please help! (Not sure if it makes any difference, but the car is a VYII with a Blaupunkt head unit.)

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
there is a common issue with the vy sedan and wagon in regards to the amp's being put it, basicaly you are having issues with a noise surpresser, holden got the idea a while ago to put a noise supressor into the cd players they install or the stock tape head decks. there is a easy way to get around this, put a filter into the amp power cable, this will remove any of the issues for the alternator whine

other than that, replace the blankput cd player in the car, and put something better in, while blankput cd player's are good, they went to a basic one for the vy,

cheers
garth

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I personally recommend Kenwood (don't ask me what model) But I've got 1 in my VN and no noise and sounds great.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE 3.8 V6 t700
This fixed my problem, I installed a factory radio cassette from an ED Falcon, sorting the pin outs took some doing. As I fitted an amp as well I made sure the amp and radio shared the same earth and the two were joined by their earth too. ( I ran a wire from the chassis of the radio to the chassis of the amp. I also joined the positives together, ( the memories wire, usually Batt+ ) . As you can appreciate all positive wires/cables while the engine is running will be giving a mild charge current along all wires that are supplying power to something as an amp gauge will show. 12VDC to 12.8VDC while engine is static and up to 13.8VDC while engine is running. I ran all power cables for stereo down the right side of my Commodore firstly because it was the side the fuse box and ignition is mounted to, secondly because I ran all the audio cables down the left side to reduce any induced magnetic interference as much as possible, the result, pretty much un noticeable whine or crackle, even at volume up and off station. Also where the negative plugs to the amp, I grounded it to earth too, to help reduce static. But dont forget the condensor on the alternator, coil, and dizzy can help eliminate whirring. Dont pull your main power from ignition+ as think of all the goodies its supplying, fans etc, run an independant 3mm square or heavier directly from battery to stereo and amp. If speakers are mounted in wooden panel earth the chassis of speakers not the -ve as if they were in the steel of doors, it can act as a Faraday cage to sheild from static whirring. I will be damn surprised if this does not reduce the hassle by at least 80%, in my case I have nothing, but I am fussy because I have more time on my hands than money! Replace all crappy looms supplied with amps with a heavier gauge, so you have less voltage drop cranked and when wire warms a little. If this helps you too, it will make me a happy man, I have seen some so called PROFFESIONAL jobs where amps were packed up with MDF and tech screwed to floor with no earth strap, you may take longer than the shop, but you will only have to do it once!. Solder as many joins as possible, I even do terminals to get as close as electrically sound as possible. Good night. [email protected] in Perth/Belmont if I can help, I am cheap, cold drink and a feed, you supply consumables.

C

cycom563

Just a quick email to thank you all for your help. I took the car back today and they installed a ground loop isolator (again, I'm a layman & have no idea what this is), but it appears to have removed most of the alternator noise. I will still consider the in-line filter (thanks Garth) and the tips from gentleman Jim (wish I lived in Perth, not Melbourne!). Thanks also to 91VNEXEC, but I'd already bought an alpine amp! Thanks again!

L

lmcdonald

Just a quick question,

Was the Alternator making the Whining sound when accelerating? Did the whining sound come from the speakers (or from the alternator itself?)

I have just installed an AMP/SUB/6x9's in a VX Calais, When I Accelerate; I get a high pitched noise from the front of the car (Sounds mechanical)

C

cyan_eyed

lmcdonald said:
Was the Alternator making the Whining sound when accelerating? Did the whining sound come from the speakers (or from the alternator itself?)

It's the speakers that actually produce the sound but the noise is generated by the alternator. It makes a high-frequency rippling, usually in the power input to the amp, which is passed on through the amp to the speakers. I had a similar issue with my amp until i put in a noise filter on the power lead (apparently it's just a big capacitor). When I had whining, it increased/decreased with engine revs.

liquidforce_134

Reaction score
hey all

I hav the same problem..

When i accelarate i get the alternator interference in my front speakers, they are running off the amp.

I bought a car noise filter from supercheap but it still seems to be there.

The pic is of the car nosie filter and how it is installed....

Is it installed right and is it the right product to use for my problem???

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 9,908