Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Wiring, question

Statogurl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman series 2
I bought a VQ Statesman series 2 which needs a some work. Initial issue - battery wasn't holding charge. Turned out to be an alternator problem. Replaced that, and problem solved. However, I burnt out the wire from the alternator to the battery. I'm learning to work on this car by myself. The old alternator has 14v on the plate. I want to replace the wiring which will have to be spliced. Being new to this, I'm worried about causing more damage by getting the wrong wiring. Talking to others and Googling, besides the gauge of the wire, the amp is the other important thing. I gather I can work that out from the plate on the replacement alternator, I read something about adding up the numbers in the fuse box manufacture guide and doing some calculations. And I'm guessing a multi-meter? Anyway I don't want to make it any more complicated by overthinking - this is the first time I've had to take on this aspect of cars. Appreciate any advice. Just wanting to learn and do as much as I can myself.