Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
for the most part it just comes down to convenience for the manufacturer/dealer just to replace the module instead of servicing it and it works out cheaper for the customer in the case of things like an alternator.
to pay someone to service the module with new bearings and brushes it would exceed the cost of replacing the module.

manufacturers do not want people repairing things because it is lost sales for them if that happens so the idea is to design things to be thrown away and replaced not serviced.
you see this type of design more in consumer electronics with mobile phones being the worst with companies like apple attempting to lock parts that commonly fail to the device preventing a repair which forces the consumer to replace the whole thing which generates another sale.
it is not just apple as they all do things like it.

it is sort of like the razor blade business model and how companies intentionally design things to generate money long term or generate more sales of replacement products regardless of the cost to the consumer.
So to paraphrase, they no longer sell the spare parts. As a result you can no longer fix things yourself. It's done by the manufacturer to stream line their spare parts handling systems while reducing their handling costs. It's achieved by increasing the size of the replaceable object. End result is the customer pays more for the throw away rubbish now being produced :rolleyes: Everybody does it as such behaviour has spread through manufacturers faster than a pandemic o_O

We as a society are continuing to manufacture of throw away rubbish in volumes that simply isn't desirable :mad: In my view it's sad that the hypocrites of this world go on about saving the environment while accepting designed obsolescence as a necessity of modern manufacture :(

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
hope its the right type alternator as so many purchase cheaper aftermarket only to find out it dosnt suit the VE-VF charging system and then have to get the genuine anyway, not sure why an aftermarket would be labeled/listed to suit when they arnt even able to be controlled by the vehicle charging system

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Its all well and nice to have the skills and idea to rebuild every part as needed. I wish I could...

But turn the argument around. The scale of volume needed to make a widget and the associated doodads, to fix a part on the bench in the garage or workshop, while still being cost effective is the same or greater than just building and replacing the one big part. One big part to cover a wide range of failures means bulk buying by the pallet or container. Not carton. It's the reason why the OP picked up his new alternator for $292 not $350.

Plus for the independent mechanic, the car isn't sitting in their holding yard or on their hoist. Less checking on the apprentices's work and more happy customers through their workshops with a functioning car on the road. Not a $20,000 paperweight because the battery's baby sitter is in pieces being fixed

All day, I can offer a mechanic— doing any job — to send the broken part off to a shop that has basics like washers and seals on the shelf and a tech with the skills to rebuild said part. No one takes up my offer because time and freight costs them.

Whats needed is more exchange programs like those done with batteries, steering components and full engines. Heres a remanufactured part ready to go on the shelf. We will hold onto your old one until we have enough broken ones to make it worthwhile to have the tech stand there, pull everything apart and make it new again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Z31na, repairing an alternator doesn’t require special skills or tools unless one specifically designs them in a way to inhibit any possibility of repair....

As was the case years ago, it was usually the brushes that wear out or the regulator that fails on an alternator.... So today at $10 to $100 of parts and about an hour to remove, repair and replace, it should still be worth it for the vehicle owner. Maybe not as much profit for a business when they can supply an alternator for $600 and charge an hour to remove and replace. It could be a simple $200 repair verses $700 replacement comparison. If parts were available, repair shops would offer them. An alternator at $298 clearance price would be irrelevant to the majority of owners since they don’t do repairs themselves.

We as owners of the widgets we buy shouldn’t be rewarding poor business practice of planned obsolescence. We especially shouldn't reward poor business ethics of not providing a fair priced repair option to a customer for the businesses own selfish profit motives. Greed is not good regardless of what some movies try and portray. And on that last point, regardless of any economy of scale, greed dictates one prices at what the market can bear.

And then their is the environmental side of the equation which greenies don’t seem to get...

So the argument doesn’t need to be turned around as it holds little truth as designed obsolescence only serves the sellers of whatever widget is designed to fail and to be difficult to repair. It serves no purpose to the owner of the widget...

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Got the new alternator yesterday - from WA! Fitted it this morning. Easy job 1/2 hour. IT LIVES AGAIN! Thanks Repco - on clearance $292 down from $650! Woo Hoo!
It looks like it may have been the viscous clutch on the pulley. It seemed very loose compared to the new one. I don't know if they can be adjusted.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So to paraphrase, they no longer sell the spare parts. As a result you can no longer fix things yourself. It's done by the manufacturer to stream line their spare parts handling systems while reducing their handling costs. It's achieved by increasing the size of the replaceable object. End result is the customer pays more for the throw away rubbish now being produced :rolleyes: Everybody does it as such behaviour has spread through manufacturers faster than a pandemic o_O

We as a society are continuing to manufacture of throw away rubbish in volumes that simply isn't desirable :mad: In my view it's sad that the hypocrites of this world go on about saving the environment while accepting designed obsolescence as a necessity of modern manufacture :(

i'm with you here, alternator recos are trivial. i have a hard time believing you can't get the brushes and bearings for the VF unit.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
.. It looks like it may have been the viscous clutch on the pulley. It seemed very loose compared to the new one. I don't know if they can be adjusted.
The VF alternator uses a one way pulley and luckily you can get replacements. Likely the alternator itself is ok and it’s just the pulley that failed so replacing that may give you a nice spare you can put on a shelf...

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
The VF alternator uses a one way pulley and luckily you can get replacements. Likely the alternator itself is ok and it’s just the pulley that failed so replacing that may give you a nice spare you can put on a shelf...

gone are the days of a reco c/o alternator or starter motor, usually it's the voltage regulator diodes, starters it's brushes, the body's is still good , shaft bush bearings etc, it's a through away world we now live in ,
anyone in need of a alternator or starter give cool drive in box hill victoria a try , there importers and sell direct to trade also direct to public,

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
It's not a one way pulley, it works both ways with some sort of viscous coupling inside. It does look like it could be replaced though. I will keep it just in case.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not a one way pulley, it works both ways with some sort of viscous coupling inside. It does look like it could be replaced though. I will keep it just in case.
Have a look at the description on this L77 alternator pulley on eBay....
I‘m no expert and it’s been a while since I’ve repaired older alternators but the description sounds like a one way pulley to me. The may possibly be known by multiple names :p

The big thing about them is that they lock the centre when rotating in one direction but free wheel in the other. When they fail, the alternator won’t charge (according to the description) presumably by freewheel in both directions ;)