Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aluminium air intake pipe

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Heat sheilds are made out of metal for a reason. U can heat and deform platcis faster than u can with any metal.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think you are reffering to heat conductivity. aluminum conducts heat a lot faster then stainless which conducts heat a lot faster then the thermal resistent plastics that are used in the automotive industry. using the ali/stainless pipes would definitly reduce turbulance inside the air intake which would show as increased airflow capacity. i'd possibly suggest using some silicon type tubing. comes in many sizes and shapes/bends. also, header wrap can be used to insulate the intake

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Stainless is the go. Not only does it look killer but it is more heat resistant then alloy, & plastic, we won't even go there!

cracker

Reaction score
its not at all! put a metal pipe in hot water then do the same with the plastic tell me which is hotter
doesnt any one know anything? metal fork gets hot in hot pan so u use plastic one so yopu dont get burnt

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
these pipes made in stainless can have ice form on the outside sometimes.Just from the flow of air through it making it cold.Ive had ice form on the inside of the floor of my torana with no carpet just from the air passing under the floorpan at night.I live in nz though can get cold out.Carbys freeze up too all just from airflow past metal.

VNWagonNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon
Lol... disclaimer - spanners is from the Sth Island - I dont usually get ice buildup anywhere on my car up here in the sunny North Island. Though I am moving to Taupo shortly... and its pretty damn cold there, being right next to the mountain and all :)

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
On the westcoast and im sure my wipers will wear out before anything else damn rain magnet this place.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i understand you know cracker, your saying metals 'holds' in the heat for longer??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
as said above, stainless may be more heat resistant then ali/plastics i.e. you can apply more heat to the stainless before you damage it. steel will however conduct the heat better then the plastic, great example above with the stove & fork:yeah: if it's looks your after go the stainless, if performance, insulate it. if you want a cool car, ice cool that is, live in the south Is NZ:rofl: me, i'll stick to the north island thanks

Hwarang

Reaction score
There's a lot more to this than simply the heat conduction and convection through the pipes.

Stainless and Aluminium pipes can be much more highly polished which can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce heat gain due to friction of the air passing over the surface of the pipe, and if you think that this friction is nothing to worry about, you would be quite wrong. The rate that the air passes through these pipes is VERY fast, and the faster you go, the faster the air flow is through the pipes, which means greater and greater heat gain due to friction.

In a stainless or aluminium pipe, these frictional effects would be mostly transferred to the pipe, and then convection heat transfer would remove the heat energy from the pipe to the air blowing under your bonnet.

So, with a plastic pipe, not only is your friction effects greater, but the friction energy is transferred more to the air inside the pipe than to the pipe itself since the pipe does not conduct heat as readily as metals.

There is a method in the madness.