Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aluminium air intake pipe

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Hey guys, I was just talking with my mate (who owns a Celica, but we wont go there :whistling ) and we got into a discussion about the aluminum air intake pipes you often see on turbo'd cars. Which leads me to the question, does a aluminum air intake pipe serve any improvement for a stock Ecotec with a CAI?

It looks damn sexy, but I'm not going to spend $xxx just for a pipe which you wouldn't see very often.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Just looks good, if anything it would be detrimental due to heat soak on longer runs.

The reason turboe'd cars use them is to handle the higher pressures involved in a turbo setup.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Just looks good, if anything it would be detrimental due to heat soak on longer runs.

The reason turboe'd cars use them is to handle the higher pressures involved in a turbo setup.

Yeah I gathered that it would be because of the pressure. I really don't think there would be any improvement by itself, but weirder things have happened :p

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Some people just run em because they look good :)

Subdue's brother (DIABLO) had one on his VR, all polished up looked mad, but yeh I doubt it's going to change much in the performance stakes. Might be some pics of his around someone if you get searching, or ask subdue nicely :)

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
My VR has one. It's not for performance though it's mainly for looks. It doesn't feel like it has lost any power on long runs but it may cos if the pipe is hot it may heat the air passing through it. But i don't have a full on performance engine so it doesn't bother me that much.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Some people just run em because they look good :)

Subdue's brother (DIABLO) had one on his VR, all polished up looked mad, but yeh I doubt it's going to change much in the performance stakes. Might be some pics of his around someone if you get searching, or ask subdue nicely :)

Yeah that does look great.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i think you'll find if it is purely for a performance boost it will be done in stainless steel, and not aluminium. stainless will keep temperatures inside the pipe down and have alot of strength as well.
thats not to say cheap-skates dont use aluminium though.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Ok there is some benefit in this...
for a few reasons. The stock pipe is plastic with imperfections and bends are the flexi pipe bends often at 90 degree. This is crap for airflow, especially on a naturally aspirated engine where there is no turbo to force air past these little inconveniences..
A stainless intake pipe will serve to smoothen the inside surface to reduce drag, and the mandrel bends will also reduce drag around bends, and if you get the right shape of pipe, you can reduce the amount and angle of bends.
What this does is similar to the effect of a free flowing filter.
Heat soak in the pipes will be minimal as the time that the air is travelling through the pipes is barely anough to heat it anyway, and can be solved by using heat wrap on the pipe.
So combine this with a full exhaust and also cold air intake with pod or free flow filter and it will add to the overall ease in which the engine can breath.
Quite a good modification really if you get the pipe bent up for cheap.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Metal is more heat resistant than black plactic. and u use stainless steel not alloy pipeing (steel is more heat resistant than alloy).

cracker

Reaction score
your joking right?
plactic has little to no heat soak
see how hot the metal pipe gets its sitting just above the headers
they look nice thats about it