Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aluminium radiator cores

Tony2

Reaction score
What is the life expectency of the radiators in Holdens these days. It seems that the aluminium cores are just crap compared to the old copper ones that would last for 20 years. My VS ute radiator started gushing out water at the age of 4 years old so I went down and bought a new aftermarket one and put it in. Anyway that one lasted less that 6 month before it started to leak. I took it back but the radiator shop refused to replace it under waranty because I fitted it myself and they claimed it was caused by the block not being flushed properly and coolant contamination. So anyway I paid out anothor $370 to have them fit another one and flush and fill the system with coolant. Fingers crossed as to how long this one will last.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Good question, I actually had a similar problem with mine actually, it turns out that you must flush the radiator completely (and the block) then use Nulon (or equivalent) heavy duty coolant. This has strong anticorrosion technology in it to stop it from corroding and then leaking.

Also been told to 'earth' the radiator to the chasis, I had a minor leak in mine that needed topping up every day or so, but thanks to OSL-060s idea of Chemi Weld, its all good for now, no new Radiator needed.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
mmm the welding on the commodore radiators isnt good at all
i had to have my radiator taken out, both tanks taken off n re-welded!
will never be going back to that place though, they didnt flush out the heater core AT ALL. left about 3 litres of red coolant in there, n then put the green stuff in! you can only begin to imagine what that did!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The aluminium cores last about 10 years if you keep the coolant right so there is not a current flow through the water that eats the core away .
It has a battery effect where it takes alumium away from the core and deposits it on the metal .I was told to earth the radiator to the main earth stud ...principle sounds ok but you have to have the right concentration of coolant ..I think it is recommended to a 50/50 mix