Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am gonna cut the pink wire

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Well have read through a lot of threads, and am convinced will cut the pink wire to hopefully save more petrol

they say just the drivers side, but one bloke reckons cut both, to make the equal = your opinion??

Yes, i could improve the earth's with the soldering at the ecu, but i dont have time
Earthing at the ECU

theres another suggestion to earth at the loom, i may do this
Earthing at the loom

BUT if the Pink wires have been cut, will the earthing trick be useless?

Anyways wanna cut the pink (drivers side only)

Also wheres the earth points on the 1995 ecotech block, cos mine are not at the front near water pump

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Cutting the pink wire is Holdens fix to the issue according to their tech bulletin.

You need to cut the pink wire on the loom side of the plug, it's only the drivers side that was an issue for some reason. It had to do with the voltage from the heater circuit interfering with the reference signal from the sensor. If you cut the wire, there is no need to do the earth fix.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How do you know your car has this problem, only some earlier VS models had this problem and its probably not a good idea to go cutting wires willy nilly just to see if it might fix a problem you think your car might have.. You need to check the 02 sensor signal and see if and shows a decent variation in the sensor voltage, and check that the ECU actually goes into closed loop mode. You need a DMM , a scantool or a free program like EFIlive or tunerpro on a laptop to check the sensor readings etc. Most VS's Ive worked on, or have done memcal tunes for, dont have any issues with the 02 sensor readings if the sensors are genuine and in good nick.. Are your 02 sensors new and genuine? Some cheap aftermarket sensors are rubbish and will send the ECU a rubbish signal. Also the pink wire is the power wire that supplies power to the 02 sensor heater, and the sensors use a heater so the ECU can get into closed loop mode faster. The ECU can take ages to go closed loop mode without a working 02 sensor heater, and when its in open loop mode, its using more fuel..

The things that I would be doing to save fuel are - start by replacing both the 02 sensors with genuine sensors if the curent ones ar old or non genuine. . Do a full service on the engine, oil and filter, sparkplugs and plug leads, 3 new ignition coils (genuine coils) if the old ones are a few years old, new fuel injectors if theyve done over 200,000 km..service the auto trans filter and fluid, the air and fuel filters, and get a wheel alignment. From my VS V6, I get around 6 litres/100km on the highway, and around 9 to 12 litres around town . Mine has not had any earth modifiications for the ECU or the 02 sensors. The 02 sensors actually earth to the front of the engine block near the DFI moduel, make sure these are kept spotlessly clean and tight. If the 02 sensors are not earthed to the engine block, the ECU will see a big variation in the signal voltage, and this then stuffs up the ECU so it cant work properly to give you the best economy..

Last edited:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
How do you know your car has this problem, only some earlier VS models had this problem and its probably not a good idea to go cutting wires willy nilly just to see if it might fix a problem you think your car might have.. You need to check the 02 sensor signal and see if and shows a decent variation in the sensor voltage, and check that the ECU actually goes into closed loop mode. You need a DMM , a scantool or a free program like EFIlive or tunerpro on a laptop to check the sensor readings etc. Most VS's Ive worked on, or have done memcal tunes for, dont have any issues with the 02 sensor readings if the sensors are genuine and in good nick.. Are your 02 sensors new and genuine? Some cheap aftermarket sensors are rubbish and will send the ECU a rubbish signal. Also the pink wire is the power wire that supplies power to the 02 sensor heater, and the sensors use a heater so the ECU can get into closed loop mode faster. The ECU can take ages to go closed loop mode without a working 02 sensor heater, and when its in open loop mode, its using more fuel..

The things that I would be doing to save fuel are - start by replacing both the 02 sensors with genuine sensors if the curent ones ar old or non genuine. . Do a full service on the engine, oil and filter, sparkplugs and plug leads, 3 new ignition coils (genuine coils) if the old ones are a few years old, new fuel injectors if theyve done over 200,000 km..service the auto trans filter and fluid, the air and fuel filters, and get a wheel alignment. From my VS V6, I get around 6 litres/100km on the highway, and around 9 to 12 litres around town . Mine has not had any earth modifiications for the ECU or the 02 sensors. The 02 sensors actually earth to the front of the engine block near the DFI moduel, make sure these are kept spotlessly clean and tight. If the 02 sensors are not earthed to the engine block, the ECU will see a big variation in the signal voltage, and this then stuffs up the ECU so it cant work properly to give you the best economy..

thanks champ me wont do it

anyways i got bored, and thought stuff it, im ripping into this inlet manifold gasket

just got there!!! the manifold is off!!!

and yes the gasket farked in about 3 places, will show photos soon

plus now i can clean the fuel injectors!!! heha

um i getting $75 inlet gaskets from auto barn, best price shopped around. Anyways i will need sealant or gasket glue yeah??

thinking the AL-GREY sealant?? and does anyone know where i gotta lay the sealant? thanks for any help

ps: wait till you see the state of the gasket ewwww

also now i might be able to get my coolant temp sensor out, thats locked in there (thats gold)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
also champ, i got no oxy sensor earths near the DFI module, theres nothing there aye

regards

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, was thinking of buick V6, they earth to the block under the DFI module bracket, the ecotec V6 02's sensors earth on the front of the engine on the the heater pipe inlet/outlet pipe studs. Theres 2 Black wires with ring terminals, and these must be clean and tight.. If the wires are not even there, then thats probably why its using a lot of fuel or whatever its doing. Theres also more ECU earths at the rear of the passenger side cylinder head, and this must also be kept clean and tight if you want the vehicle running at its absolute best to achieve maximum fuel economy.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I think too what Brett has said you have to have the car running right and the my VS is running as good as it can I replaced a lot of parts and tuned by The1 so I don`t think I can get any better.
Good luck with it mate.
O2 sensors very important

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I think too what Brett has said you have to have the car running right and the my VS is running as good as it can I replaced a lot of parts and tuned by The1 so I don`t think I can get any better.
Good luck with it mate.
O2 sensors very important

i dont see a big risk in cutting a single wire and gaining better fuel economy.

if it doesnt work simply rewire the wire

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Theres no risk involved, but it would make sense to see if you actually have a problem first. You only need a multimeter to see if the 02 sensor voltage is correct and flunctuating as it should in closed loop mode.. Theres nothing worse than working on a vehicle thats had the electricals and/or wiring stuffed around with or dodgied up etc. Any joins in the wiring must be soldered and then the join sealed with heat shrink tube. Over the years Ive seen similar stuff where a wire has been cut or broken, then just twisted back together and taped up. The join corrodes and then it creates high resistance at the join.. or the tape falls off and the wire shorts out to something causing more problems, but at the end of the day its up to you and whether you cut it or not, its your vehicle.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
um i getting $75 inlet gaskets from auto barn, best price shopped around. Anyways i will need sealant or gasket glue yeah??

I would have paid the $35 more and bought metal gaskets from MACE. They will last the lifetime of the engine.