Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AM I ASKING FOR TROUBLE VZ WAGON 180K

Skeptik1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlin series 2
maintenance history is the key with the alloytec and this one sounds very good only other thing is the electronics but that affects everything these days

if you do buy it first thing is to pull the pcv orifice out and clean and drill the holes bigger it makes the engine run so much smoother here a detail thread and a lot of have done it including me
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv-problem-fix.279039/
Champ, cheers mate that's the exact thought I have after seeing the difference under the manifold covers (2 different engines)

Skeptik1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlin series 2
Check it's full of red coolant and there's no red-pink stains from coolant leaks down the front or back of engine. The back would be more of a problem. The front of those is easy to work on.
What do you mean? As in ake sure that it's not?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
the thermostat is at the rear and at the front the filler tube has 2 orings are known issues with leaking other that heater tap water pump radiator there plenty of you tube vids about these if you want to do some research

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not sure what you are asking there?
Thermostat leaks behind the engine are painful. Water pumps and stuff on the front have been done in the dark after dinner holding a torch in my mouth....

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Not sure what you are asking there?
Thermostat leaks behind the engine are painful. Water pumps and stuff on the front have been done in the dark after dinner holding a torch in my mouth....
The most retarded thing with the Alloytec engine is the thermostat location! Would have cost them 50 cents to put it on the front but why would they do that when they can charge you $500 plus for a thermostat replacement!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The most retarded thing with the Alloytec engine is the thermostat location! Would have cost them 50 cents to put it on the front but why would they do that when they can charge you $500 plus for a thermostat replacement!

Alloytec was designed for FWD east/west placement, so that put the thermostat in an accessible spot.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Alloytec was designed for FWD east/west placement, so that put the thermostat in an accessible spot.
I know but they still should have spent the 50 cents to delete the thermostat at the back and put a new thermostat housing on the front for RWD applications.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah, but ....... they spend 50c extra on how many engines, or charge you $500 in maintenance. A bean-counter can easily explain that logic.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Different covers is typical, the plastic mounts tear out as they are a bad design and clumsy mechanics will see to this. I bought a stock replacement cover and it had the incorrect SV6 version in it, it fits.