Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AM I ASKING FOR TROUBLE VZ WAGON 180K

H

harrop.senator

I've got 267 on the one I'm driving around. Has some noisy start ups some cold mornings and has me puckering thinking chains going to let go.

It's done that 2 out of 5 mornings since I got it with 235k though.

Timing cover leaks oil.
Autos really played up on me once (5 speed) but is mainly just a little harsh down to first coming to a stop.

I actually have grown quite fond of the motors. This is the second one. First one was bought 5 years old with 50k and was written off at 250k.

My ex was shocking at dropping it off to a workshop for servicing. (She'd got it salary sacrifice before we met so was all inclusive.) It'd sometimes go 30k between services and never complained.

I've had a few come in with chain issues. But still haven't one stretch enough for codes or personally know anyone who's has.

My god some of the inside of them when I've done valve covers is just sludge but.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Have owned my 2004 VZ wagon since 2007. 75k back then, has done 210k now. In that time, other than wear and tear items like brakes and suspension bits, it had the coils done around 180k (one was bad, but did them all as it’s not a quick job to swap one each time they fail), and had the ignition barrel replaced 2 weeks ago after it finally got to the point that turning the key was pretty difficult. It did have a coolant leak which turned out to be the o-rings between the top radiator hose pipe and the block. All good now. Passenger door lock doesn’t always work either, so I’ll often lock the car and the horn will beep, scaring the **** out of me. I’ll remove it and see if it’s just dirty and in need of a clean, or I’ll replace it if it’s stuffed.

Oil and filter done every 10k, using Penrite HPR5. Filters are usually pretty good, with only a little bit of gunk trapped, nothing worrying.

It’s red too, so like many the paint is faded in patches, which I find odd. A polish and wax will bring it up, but it’s lucky to last a week, so pretty disheartening after the effort.

Recently did spark plugs and while the manifold was off I noticed the throttle body was a bit oily, and the inlet pipe had a nice layer of oil sludge in it. Have since found out about the PCV valve so will be modifying it this week while I’m on leave, and I’ve ordered 2 catch cans to help keep any further blow by out.

I’ll probably have the car for another 3-5 years, so that should help it survive, hopefully. It’s been a great car over the last 14 years, the one OP is looking at sounds like a pretty good buy.

Last edited: