Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] Am I being ripped off

richie1977

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi fellas,

I have a VE SS and had it serviced yesterday, the guy gave me a list of things needing to be done

1 . Harmonic balancer out of round ( exact words). $680
2. Break pads and skim $ 640

Can anyone shed some light on the harmonic balancer problem?

And can I change the pads myself, I know I can't do the skim but just do the pads coz I'm skint ATM

Cheers

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
For that price for the brake component you could nearly buy new RDA discs and matching pads. Speak to Greg from GSL Rallysport (forum sponsor) and see what he can do for you. Can't help with the harmonic balancer, sorry.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Wow that's cheap for brakes from Holden, assuming it was them. And that's assuming they even need it and they are not just going to charge you but not touch them, but they would t do that now, would they....

If you think it's sus mate, just take it elsewhere and as for their opinion.

Also just out of interest, what service was it and how much did it cost, this might give us an idea of how straight up your mechanic is.

richie1977

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Wow that's cheap for brakes from Holden, assuming it was them. And that's assuming they even need it and they are not just going to charge you but not touch them, but they would t do that now, would they....

If you think it's sus mate, just take it elsewhere and as for their opinion.

Also just out of interest, what service was it and how much did it cost, this might give us an idea of how straight up your mechanic is.

Hi, it was 100,000 service from Grand Toyota ( where I bought the car) this was the first service due and I took it back there to keep the three year warranty, the warranty is useless anyway it only covers engine failures to a cost of 500 bucks. The following is from the report.

Requires; F and R pads plus machine discs $680

Minor leaks from heater hoses $290

Slight leak from sump gasket $270

Harmonic balancer out of round $640

Auto transmission flush $335

Injector service $285

My missis took it in so I think there trying it on.

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
mate, for that, id tell em to go jump........pads and disc, autobahn occasionally have specials for a pair, $120, so under $250 BRAND NEW (not machined)...heater hose, im sure you could get a good secondhand one for $20, or go to clarks rubber and get one made up? surely cant be more then $290......the tranny flush, as long as there PROPERLY flushing it (not just draining and refilling it) is explainable, harm balc, there a few hundred, but semi labour intensive, justifiable, sump gasket, under $50, guaranteed. and injector service, as long as they do it properly (new seals, cleaned, flow tested) its justifiable as well...but ultimately, theres a few things you could save $$$ on, even if your not that mechanically savvy, you could get parts and bring them to the dealers, so as to not lose what little use warranty you have....and save quite a few hundred by the sounds...on another note, you take it in without her, then see what you get quoted...funny how people rip off the ladies

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I second the go jump idea, think they are trying to pull the wool over her eyes.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
mate the 3 year warranty isnt worth the money you paid for it especially as you shouldnt need to take it back to them for it to be valid... as long as it is serviced and signed by a licenced mechanic they cant stop you taking it elsewhere

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
What u spend on servicing your vehicle with them to keep the warranty will cost you more then the warranty will actually cover...

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
Hi, it was 100,000 service from Grand Toyota ( where I bought the car) this was the first service due and I took it back there to keep the three year warranty, the warranty is useless anyway it only covers engine failures to a cost of 500 bucks. The following is from the report.

Requires; F and R pads plus machine discs $680

Minor leaks from heater hoses $290

Slight leak from sump gasket $270

Harmonic balancer out of round $640

Auto transmission flush $335

Injector service $285

My missis took it in so I think there trying it on.

They can fling those prices over a rainbow with all their other hopes and dreams seriously...

pads and disc machine 250
tranny service 160 depending on what oil costs
640 would be for a genuine one fitted, go aftermarket
they would just do an on car injector machine no where near the 285 asking price
heater hoses 290 you better hope that's with a coolant fluch and new coolant.
Sump gasket they would just re-torque the bolts.

Dont take it back.