Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I do my own mechanical work

• Total voters

Cameron Leary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina 01
So I had my newly purchased vx commodore serviced on monday, they done the basic stuff for 170$ oil changes & all that. I really just wanted it done to get the annoying service alert taken off. They also replaced 3 pulleys for the drive belt for 360$ .. now fast forward to yesterday, on my way home from work and the heater hose started bursting out water. So I took it back to the mechanics they said it would be around 350$ to fix.. everyone is telling me I'm getting ripped off hard because I'm a P plater they assume I know nothing about cars.. a heater hose for my car is 20$ and the pump if its stuffed is 40$.. anyway can someone please enlighten me as to why I'm paying so much. And in future should I just do all the work myself ??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeap your getting ripped off, 3 pulleys would take 15mins so maybe 30-60 minium charge, $150 if using genuine pulleys..

hoses and pulley's are easy. I'd be doing it all myself.

Cameron Leary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina 01
Thanks for your input mate. They just called me 330$ is the final price for replacing the pipe and flushing the system. From now on if I need something done I'll be sussing out these forums

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
They saw you coming from a mile off unfortunatly. Even that service price is ridiculous if it's simply an oil and filter change.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yep, come back here when you want to know how to do something.
Most times you don't even have to ask the question, it's already been asked, just search in the search box top right of screen.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
If it is work that needs to be done in future that is beyond your ability ask mates family or forum members to recomend mechanics in your area. Or ring around a few places and compare quotes . Unfortunately young people seem to be a target when it comes to repairs.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be wrong but it sounds like you are new to working on cars. Time to start learning as that's a joke $320 to do a half hour job with $50 worth of parts including coolant. Just check everything goes back on how it came off and isn't too tight or loose. And keep checking for the leaks and issues for next few weeks after you fix it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
So I had my newly purchased vx commodore serviced on monday, they done the basic stuff for 170$ oil changes & all that. I really just wanted it done to get the annoying service alert taken off. They also replaced 3 pulleys for the drive belt for 360$ .. now fast forward to yesterday, on my way home from work and the heater hose started bursting out water. So I took it back to the mechanics they said it would be around 350$ to fix.. everyone is telling me I'm getting ripped off hard because I'm a P plater they assume I know nothing about cars.. a heater hose for my car is 20$ and the pump if its stuffed is 40$.. anyway can someone please enlighten me as to why I'm paying so much. And in future should I just do all the work myself ??
Mate i have a service manual for the vt/vx commodore on cd that i don't need , if you want it send me a pm with your details and its yours free of charge , ill even pay the postage . Someone might as well get some use out of it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Mate i have a service manual for the vt/vx commodore on cd that i don't need , if you want it send me a pm with your details and its yours free of charge , ill even pay the postage . Someone might as well get some use out of it.
Looks like Cameron has disappeared. Anyone else want the CD ?