Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I do my own mechanical work

• Total voters

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Actually Holden quoted me round $260 for all 4 pulleys

So that price can be round that if genuine

But does look inflated for the flush and hose replacement unless was a full pump replacing also

But basic maintenance can do yourself and get roadside assist. NRMA I think offers discounts for young drivers

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
All mechanics that i've been to are robbers, not rip offs, robbers.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
If it is work that needs to be done in future that is beyond your ability ask mates family or forum members to recomend mechanics in your area. Or ring around a few places and compare quotes . Unfortunately young people seem to be a target when it comes to repairs.

yeah it's pathetic I understand mechanics need to make a living but driving is an essential part of life and people don't need to be fucked around when wanting to get their car registered

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Even tho doing the work yourself is good and all the mechanic will just nit pick and dream up some other problem usually things like bushings

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Labor costs are high these days, I suggest shopping around or doing it yourself.
Both jobs you describe are easy for the novice.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Sadly a common occurrence some places will try to ream you if they can

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Being in the tyre trade, we are often being abused for being rip offs...Same applies to all mechanical trades....The unfortunate part of things is, the majority of people don't understand how much it costs per week just to open the doors and employ 1 person....Perhaps if they did, their attitude might change in this area.

Example....Just the rent for a tyre joint is $1,000 PER WEEK, give or take a few hundred....Then the wage for 1 person is about $800 PER WEEK give or take a few bucks.....Then you have other costs involved....But of course the general public just think, we're ripping them off and don't care if we have a job tomorrow and the owner is looking for a roof over their head

Oh and mechanics are on more per week than a tyre fitter too, so factor that in

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Being in the tyre trade, we are often being abused for being rip offs...Same applies to all mechanical trades....The unfortunate part of things is, the majority of people don't understand how much it costs per week just to open the doors and employ 1 person....Perhaps if they did, their attitude might change in this area.

Example....Just the rent for a tyre joint is $1,000 PER WEEK, give or take a few hundred....Then the wage for 1 person is about $800 PER WEEK give or take a few bucks.....Then you have other costs involved....But of course the general public just think, we're ripping them off and don't care if we have a job tomorrow and the owner is looking for a roof over their head

Oh and mechanics are on more per week than a tyre fitter too, so factor that in

Being in business costs money. The key to a successful business is turning a profit without making people feel like you've ripped them a new asshole in the process.

$170 an hour for a service, which, lets assume is a minor service and safety check is $60 in materials at best on a commodore and then whacking on $110 in labour. If you're only paying your mechanic $22 an hour and it's not going to take a mechanic anywhere close to that to do the service you're putting a lot in your pocket as the business owner.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I get running a business costs money.....rent, wages, super, insurance, utilities, equipment purchase, maintenance and repairs, product etc and then they need to actually make a profit.

In my eyes, the rip off occurs when the business suggests replacing things that don't need replacing, like brake pads at half life, or exorbitant mark ups on parts.