Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am i getting scammed?

HarroVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
hey guys, recently i bought a new radiator and had it put into my Vx acclaim because the old was so rusted it wasnt funny.
after completing the job the mechanic said that i needed to get some electric's looked at by another mechanic he knows. He said that my Radiator rusted because it wasnt "earthing" Properly. i know what that means but i didnt think there was any electrics going to the radiator.
i think hes trying to rip me off cause a me and a mate bought a new radiator for his Vt and put it in ourselfs and there wasnt anything but the pipes connected to the radiator.
help apreciated.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No but alloy doesn't rust. It corrodes due to electrolosis.
Which is caused by stray currents.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
It must be the time for radiators. I just put a new one in my VT yesterday.

My one didn't have any corrosion at all in it, The bloody plastic tanks on it spilt and let go (plastic junk)

If your has corroded that bad I would be getting it checked out (a.s.a.p before it starts again)

As soop said the electrolosis will eat the aluminum away. Especially if your near salt air.

Under the warranty on my new radiator it has

Warranty said:
Must check straight current with a volt meter making sure not exceed over 0.05volt

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
did you flush your cooling system before refitting and filling the radiator? if your radiator is corroded out just think of what your heater core and water will be like

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
electrolysis or stray current will kill a new radiator, if the tech said get it checked then get it checked

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Or earth the aluminium part of the radiator to the body of your car. couple of self tappers and a length of copper wire, just don't go through the core of your radiator.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
i had a radiator in for 1 month eat its self apart from electrolosis. Was caused by the mechanic not flushing the system properly so it had the old coolant react with the new coolant causing electrolosis. Got a new radiator and new mechanic while i was at it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive been reading a bit about electrolysis lately,and Ive found that a lot of people recommend actually insulating the radiator from earth to prevent electrolysis.The plastic radiator tanks and rubber mounts used these days on new cars automatically insulates it from earth apparently,and also the rubber hoses that are included in part the auto transmission cooler lines are there for the same reason,to prevent the metal lines acting as an earth for the radiator.Ive always thought the radiator has to be earthed to prevent electrolysis,but Ive never really looked into electrolysis before much either.A few people have said that earthing the radiator just completes the circuit which causes electrolysis to occur.They also said that not using distilled water and proper coolant helps cause the problem too, because distilled water has very little salts disolved in it,where normal tap water has lots of salts in it,and we all know how salty water can conduct electricity extremely well.So when the earthed radiator is combined with normal tap water, its a good recipe for getting electrolysis,It all sounds pretty reasonable to me.It also said that to test for electrolysis,use a multimeter set on volts,connect the earth probe to the battery earth,and insert the positive probe into the coolant in the top of the radiator. NOTE-the probe should NOT touch the sides or the core of the radiator,it should only be touching the coolant itself.It says to leave it in there for a few minutes,then if the reading is above 0.3v,theres a problem that could cause electrolysis ..A few people wrote in and said that they had refilled with distilled water after getting a high voltage reading of more than 0.3v,the distilled water was enough to drop the voltage reading to below the 0.3v.

Last edited:

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
I would get it checked for sure, maybe not with his mate though.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ive been reading a bit about electrolysis lately,and Ive found that a lot of people recommend actually insulating the radiator from earth to prevent electrolysis.The plastic radiator tanks and rubber mounts used these days on new cars automatically insulates it from earth apparently,and also the rubber hoses that are included in part the auto transmission cooler lines are there for the same reason,to prevent the metal lines acting as an earth for the radiator.Ive always thought the radiator has to be earthed to prevent electrolysis,but Ive never really looked into electrolysis before much either.A few people have said that earthing the radiator just completes the circuit which causes electrolysis to occur.They also said that not using distilled water and proper coolant helps cause the problem too, because distilled water has very little salts disolved in it,where normal tap water has lots of salts in it,and we all know how salty water can conduct electricity extremely well.So when the earthed radiator is combined with normal tap water, its a good recipe for getting electrolysis,It all sounds pretty reasonable to me.It also said that to test for electrolysis,use a multimeter set on volts,connect the earth probe to the battery earth,and insert the positive probe into the coolant in the top of the radiator. NOTE-the probe should NOT touch the sides or the core of the radiator,it should only be touching the coolant itself.It says to leave it in there for a few minutes,then if the reading is above 0.3v,theres a problem that could cause electrolysis ..A few people wrote in and said that they had refilled with distilled water after getting a high voltage reading of more than 0.3v,the distilled water was enough to drop the voltage reading to below the 0.3v.

Good Find Brett!

I'll give you some rep points